Fitting rear seat belts

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VWMartin
80-90 Mem No: 13095

Fitting rear seat belts

Post by VWMartin »

Hey guys just got a pair of rear seat belts to fit into my transporter. I've heard that the transporters already have the mounting points which is cool - so I've found the holes in the bulkhead for the lower fixings and ones in the back (behind the air intake vents)

Does anyone know where the last point is to fix the actual mechanism part to...?

Hope that makes sense lol.

Cheers.

1990 Transporter ~ 1z Conversion ~ Twin Slider

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Fitting rear seat belts

Post by clift_d »

The retractor reel goes behind the panelling below the rear window, where there should be a row of three holes in the inner skin of the body shell. An adaptor plate bolts to these holes and then the retractor reel is then fixed to that - you can see the original VW setup in this illustration.

The easiest thing to do is to get the seatbelt kit that Brickwerks sell which has a remanufactured version of this adaptor plate.

:ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

VWMartin
80-90 Mem No: 13095

Post by VWMartin »

cheers dude - i had seen this on the net, but wasnt sure which is the standard as some ive seen show the retractable part being up behind the rear window, above the lower panels.

Cheers - will sort some brackets out.

1990 Transporter ~ 1z Conversion ~ Twin Slider

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

That other type of installation - like in this picture - typically gets installed in campers where there is a fitted cupboard in the way of the retractor and pillar loop mounting points on one side of the van. It allows you to get a second three point belt installed for the 'middle' seat that clips into two receivers where a lap belt would fix, which can then be unclipped completely and retracted out of the way when you need to open out the rock-and-roll bed. In the back of our Westy we have one of the Brickwerks kits and one of this other kind of installation fitted.

:ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro