Hi-Top load limit?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Hi-Top load limit?

Post by RCN »

Anyone know how much weight a "typical" hi-top area, where the upper bed is can carry?
Quite frankly, i curious how many cases or bottles of wine i can safely carry when we are shopping in France.
This would take in consideration of any securing, if i ever have to do a hard breaking to prevent any bottles shooting forward and off. I don't want to go crazy , but a sensible number when driving
Cheers
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Re: Hi-Top load limit?

Post by Dad »

I'd say it would take 150kg, I'm not sure I'd want to drive it but would probably take it.
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Hi-Top load limit?

Post by clift_d »

The permissible roof load for a tintop with a roof rack in the owners manual is 100kg. The manual doesn't give a permissible load for a high-top - presumably because the high top itself uses up most of the allowance.

Obviously you could easily sleep two people up there who might weigh 150kg or more, but that only happens when the van isn't moving and so it doesn't effect the van's centre of gravity etc by making it too top heavy, or put undue stress on the pillars when braking.

Personally, we normally only ever put lightweight stuff like bedding or similar up top to be on the safe side.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro