what is my roof please?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DB-1584
80-90 Mem No: 0

what is my roof please?

Post by DB-1584 »

hi, new to the forum having just got my '81 1600 project.
basically I'm wanting to find out who made the roof so I can replace the struts (roof won't stay up).
its not a Devon but not sure whether it could be Danbury or Leisuredrive.
my van is exactly the same colour and roof as the one linked below, with 2 struts and the same issue, i.e should it have 2 or 4?
hoping someone can shed some light so i can order some struts.
cheers :)
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=7751035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: what is my roof please?

Post by CJH »

I can't help with the number of struts, or the correct loads, for your roof, except to say that if you can provide them with the strut length and the fixing hole sizes, SGS in Derby can make you up some adjustable struts. With those, you can let air out yourself to reduce the load rating, but if you want to increase it you'll need to take them back to have some more air put in. So perhaps you could start with an over-estimate of the required load and then work downwards.

They're slightly more expensive than the fixed load sort, but possibly worth it if you're not sure of the required fixed load. Ask to speak to Scott - he might have some experience with your particular roof. I used them for my Viking roof struts, which I wrote about in this thread.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

DB-1584
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: what is my roof please?

Post by DB-1584 »

Cheers CJH, appreciate the SGS information, I have heard them mentioned before and they sem to know their stuff.
Only problem is I go away in the van in a couple of weeks so need to just put the correct ones on, out of the box so to speak, if possible.
All the side elevating roofs look the same :)