1984 1.9DG won't start - help?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hoopy_Frood
80-90 Mem No: 12752

1984 1.9DG won't start - help?

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

My van won't start. It sounded quite noisy the last time it ran, but for the last week or so I've not been able to get it going.

It was very low on fuel the last time I ran it, so it may have got some crud into the fuel system. I thought I had run out of fuel at first, so put about 10 liters of petrol in it.

Symptoms:
It turns over ok - battery has been removed, fully charged and out back in again. Still no start.
The in-line fuel filter had some black stuff in it, presumably crud from the tank. Filter has been replaced and still no start.
I have tried carb cleaner, and it just about starts after a liberal spraying, but won't properly fire up. (I take this to suggest that I have a spark, but there is a fueling issue.)
I've replaced the fuel pump (like for like replacement - cheap Brickwerks pump), but it still won't start.

I plan to have a look in the carb (peirburg 2e3) again, hoping to possibly see if the cone filter is blocked and to check if the float chambers actually have petrol in them

What else should be on my list of things to look at?

Thanks
(a very frustrated) Iain
1984 T25 Poptop EJ20 conversion

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: 1984 1.9DG won't start - help?

Post by itchyfeet »

Chuck a table spoon or two of petrol straight down the carb and try it, if it fires briefly you have fuel starvation

next take the pipe of at the carb and remove the cone filter and clean, try again.

If that does not work id say blocked outlet from the tank is the most likely, try taking the pipe by the filter off and see if any petrol pours out, it will only come out if the tank is full enough and its not blocked, if not try blowing back up through the pipe to clear any blockage.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

If that doesnt work there are further tests you can do on fuel delivery before going into the carb but try that first and let us know
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

as Itchy says, then next I would take top of carb and look in float chamber, if this is full then it will be a blocked jet... easy to remove jets and clean with a wire from a wire brush and some carb cleaner.
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Post by tandemsandy »

Vinnie came to an abrupt halt the other week. Turned out the old braided fuel pipe into the fuel pump had gone porous so the pump was sucking air not fuel.
Very easy to test an eliminate- disconnect the fuel pipe from the inlet side of the fuel pump and suck on it (!). if you get a gob full of petrol, good. If you can suck air, pipe is duff.

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

She lives!!

In honesty I'm not sure what I did that cured it.

I followed itchyfeet's advice by firstly the checking cone filter, which it turns out is missing!
I then checked the flow from the tank to the filter. It was slow at first but then got a lot better. I used some of the fuel and put it straight down the carb and then tried it. It spluttered but then got going. I've not taken her for a run, but she starts now which is just fantastic.

Thanks again for the advice. :D

Iain.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Dont go far, round the block a few times, may well be dirt in the tank which is blocking the pipe, clear enough to idle but maybe not enough for full throttle which needs alot more fuel flow.
if it is you will need to drop and clean the tank out
Best get a new filter for the carb, try these people
http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/2E3type.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
Paul
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

Gower and Lee are out of stock for the cone filters. I see that Brickwerks sell them too - are they about the same quality-wise?

Thanks

Iain

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Ok didnt know bwerks soldthem
generally you can take it bwerks wont sell you any rubbish stuff so yes it will be good :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

My joy was short lived.

I took it out for a run last night and she broke down again. I'm sure it's a different variation of the fuel starvation issue although the symptoms are different now.
She will start eventually,but won't sit at idle. The RAC man who rescued me last night turned the idle screw up a lot and I managed to limp home.

I reckon i've got a blockage in the carb somewhere - because it won't idle, I'm guessing the idle jet is the first thing to look at. It also seems to be overfuelling at idle, causing me to stutter/kangaroo away from junctions. Could a blocked jet or stuck needle valve be the cause?

It's all pointing toward rebuilding the carb - something I'm a wee bit hesitant to undertake. Do the kits from Brickwerks/VW heritage etc come with reasonably good instructions?

Oh, and I've also got a massively blowy exhaust. One of the bolts holding the manifold on has come off - awesome....

Thanks

Iain

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Just an idea, seeing you are Manchester way, but you could make contact with Steve at Gasure. He can service and refurbish your carb for you. He has the machining to make the carb spindles which are so very often worn on these Pierburgs. Had mine done there and it wasn't at all expensive, actually worked out cheaper than buying the kit and doing it myself, and got the spindle sorted as well, which is something I would not have been able to tackle.
Worth a call maybe?
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

Hoopy_Frood

Post by Hoopy_Frood »

That's probably the most sensible idea - I've taken the van to Steve before for a different issue. Top bloke.

I'll give him a call and see what's what.

Cheers

Iain