oil pressure switch working wrong way around?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cshots
80-90 Mem No: 11107

oil pressure switch working wrong way around?

Post by cshots »

Hi guys, would love some quick advice before I go poking around under the van again.

I just replaced the oil pressure switch (nestled in between the pushrod tubes on the passenger side of the engine), thinking it was causing the small but persistent oil leak (it doesn't seem to have fixed it).

The problem is, it seems to be doing the exact opposite of what it should! When i turn the ignition on, the light on the dash doesn't come on at all (others do as normal), and it turns on solid when I switch the engine on. Oil level is dead between the two markers on the dipstick, have just changed the oil with fresh 10w40.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much :ok
Charlie

1985 Caravelle GL 1.9 DG Petrol (Billy-Bob)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: oil pressure switch working wrong way around?

Post by itchyfeet »

You have most likely fitted the wrong switch
standard switch is normally closed ( no pressure) so light comes on when ignition on but engine not running, as soon as you start the switch opens and the light goes out
buzzer of doom switch operates the other way normally open ( no pressure) and closes when the engine is running, my guess is you fitted one of these

you need a blue switch for the pushrod position connects to the blue/black wire in the loom ( brown at the switch but follow it to the loom)
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... -blue.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the other possibility if you have two switches is you connected the two wires the wrong way around, if so expect a buzzer when above 2000 rpm
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

cshots
80-90 Mem No: 11107

Re: oil pressure switch working wrong way around?

Post by cshots »

Great, thanks, that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'd do! :oops:
Remember getting the switch from VW heritage a while back and not being entirely sure whether I'd bought the right one.

Thanks for your help! :ok
Charlie

1985 Caravelle GL 1.9 DG Petrol (Billy-Bob)