Worn 1.9 WBX, advice Please

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Grantourer
80-90 Mem No: 2466

Worn 1.9 WBX, advice Please

Post by Grantourer »

Hi, I am new to these engines. I have 1.9 DG cylinders 1 & 3 down to 90 & 75 PSI repectivley. 2 & 4 both above 150 PSI, the engine has done 186 thousand Kilometres ( approx 116 thousand miles) Do I change the heads or change the engine for a unit from one of the companys that advertise in the VW press. Comments and advice appreciated.

regards, Graham
1992 Blue T25 LLE No 2113. Member No 2466

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Well it might just be a case of putting in new pistin rings and new heads. Take the heads off before forking out on a new engine first and see what theyre like and the piston walls and pistons are like. At that mileage, the engine is probably a little tired, but I wouldnt say its terminal just yet!
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Yes quite right. Heads and pistons are often sortable. However you don't want to be putting a new top end on a worn bottom end either. You can either strip it right down and check for wear (if you're able to) in the crank, big ends etc or if you have the budget, get an exchange or rebuild yourself (always somewhat satisfying in my view).
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Shouldn't you first check the valves are OK on the low side of the engine, would seem strange for ring/bore wear to be that different across the two sides ?

Listen for blow-down in exh/inlet and watch the compression tester, then with a slop of oil whiizzed around to see if they come up a lot (> rings)

If its the valves due to a hot or weak running side then you might get another 50,000 out of it for little money.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Personally I would back off the valve adjusters to zero clearance (or a fraction clearance is even better) and run it, then try the compression again... sounds like the valves not quite closing.. at least this is a "free" elimination..
if all appears to be well, turn each back in only 1/2 to 1 turn max from zero clearance... forget what the haynes says... this works!!! (mine are set to 1/2 turn) fit new rocker gaskets (same as beetle ones)..

Grantourer

Worn 1.9 WBX, Advice Please

Post by Grantourer »

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the advice, took rocker covers off all valves backed off, pressures the same, but on closer inspection headstuds on cylinders 1 & 3 broken, badly rusted, heads taken off and it's a bit of a mess in side! All bores showing signs of wear. Checked crank and there is wear in the main bearings, so I will be getting a new engine, once again thanks for the help. :(

Regards, Graham

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Wear in conrods can be detected purely in up and down movement (side to side play is to be expected). Crank might be ok you know. If you fancy learning about the gubbins that pushes you along, a home rebuild is quite feasible you know.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Grantourer

Worn 1.9WBX,advice please

Post by Grantourer »

Thanks CovKid, thought about that, go on holiday in 3 weeks and away working for 2 and a bit weeks, life would be much easier if I had a sensible job, when I get back from holiday you up for a pint or two?

Regards, graham

vanjam
80-90 Mem No: 1966

Post by vanjam »

similar situation to me some months ago:
wanted to rebuild but no time-used elite motors in basingstoke for a recon, good service and it's performed well since.
Jim
1985 1900DG wc liesuredrive hitop with small amounts of rust

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Grantourer - yep no prob. Just PM me if you want me to come over. I don't mind as long as I'm not using gallons of petrol helping folk out.

We might just find that 3&4 need a good clean, regasketing and retightening, but happy to check engine over generally for you.

Theres talk of a proper West Midlands T25 meet so we all have somewhere to go and useful contacts. You might like to get involved in that too? Ideal would be a monthly rural pub meet with adequate car park. If we make it a regular thing the Landlord will probably look after us. Kenilworth a possibility actually. We'll call it the 'WM Wedgie Club' or something. 'Louey' suggested the idea. Lot of these lads work at Land Rover or other places so collectively lots of knowledge and skills if we all pull together.