respray door handles/grills

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sueflower
80-90 Mem No: 12946

respray door handles/grills

Post by Sueflower »

Hubby is about to start tidying up door handles and grills while our T25 is away having a respray.Any advice the best way to do it,he thinks the grills are aluminium..do they need a special primer..someone suggested plasticote spray
any advice please
Sue :?:

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: respray door handles/grills

Post by jamesc76 »

grills are plastic, handles are a cash ally based material. Plasticote satin or gloss black is a good paint use etch primer to make it really grab
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

kear
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by kear »

Hi
Make sure the grill is well prepared, give it a good rub down with a grey scotch pad getting in all the corners, spray it with a plastisiser which you can by in aerolsol, then you can prime straight onto it once dry, give the primer a light rub down with 5-600 grit paper and the top coat should look good
I would etch prime the handles once they are flatted before applying the primer
It's all about the prep work, as you don't want the paint flaking off
Good luck :ok

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Yup, grilles will be plastic. Halfords plastic primer followed by Halfords satin black.... A good clean with soap and water followed by a light sand with 180 grit wet and dry paper. Another wash followed by a thorough drying...then paint:

Door handles WILL need etch priming, or you risk the paint coming off at the slightest provocation!
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

as has been said, bloody good clean, scotch pad, then i use a satin black designed for plastics instead of using primer. Can get them from Paint supply shop for £5 or so for big can :ok

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

As we all know, DIY on the cheap where possible is always high on the list here. I also know that several on here have bought the sand blasters from lidl/aldi, thus, may I offer the suggestion of blasting the grill and just spraying it? Saves a lot of rubbing down and gets into every nook and cranny. In fact it's sooo quick and easy that I even did the rear face of my grill. Not sure I would've bothered if I'd have had to rub it down. Still looks great now once I wash the bugs and other muck off it.

If need be, a blasting company would do it for a tenner or less. Options options options, one of which is NEVER maintenance free motoring with a t25!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Sueflower
80-90 Mem No: 12946

Post by Sueflower »

thanks folks...lots of good tips here
:ok