Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by what2do »

@kitty, I note that you have a Chamois. Would you be interested in a px? I'll throw in two boys (aged 4 & 9) to sweeten the deal! If ever I buy another classic, that's the one I'd like.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

KittyCamper84
80-90 Mem No: 10111

Post by KittyCamper84 »

The one in the background is my Imp Deluxe, its my everyday driver and great fun! Couldn't sell it though! Unfortunately I've recently sold the Chamois, I just need to update my signature!
Jeremy Cooper

1969 Singer Chamois ( sold :( )
1970 Hillman Imp (Violet)
1984 VW T25 Pop Top (Kitty)

bicolour
80-90 Mem No: 11351

Post by bicolour »

Well planned on getting it done by 10am started at 8 lol finished at 3
Under estimated how long it would take

But look at the result so far :)
And that's only one coat it's already better than when I brought it :)

donald the Dub
1982 2.0l cu devon

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Mint icecream.......mmmmm. Nice. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bicolour
80-90 Mem No: 11351

Post by bicolour »

Hi

I'm sanding down now for seconded coat
Do I need to sand all the orange peel out or just give it a key for second coat?

Cheers
donald the Dub
1982 2.0l cu devon

steveo3002
80-90 Mem No: 17509

Post by steveo3002 »

try and sand it flat
88 polo , 89 golf gti16v , 91 golf g60

clinning
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clinning »

Spent three days sanding it down and painted it , thinned out the paint 500ml paint and 100ml spirits but still orange orange peel! Ahhhh
1984 Devon 1.9 DG

meggles

Post by meggles »

Painted mine last year, around October time IIRC. So it's had lots of time to harden off. I used Tcut today and an electric 'buffer'. I'd already flatted it. The finish in the areas where I took the due amount of care have come out brilliant. There are some areas that need more work but, to be honest, I probably won't bother because if I don't tell anybody they won't know it's been rollered (as Covkid said earlier). I have a problem with my arm so couldn't give it the hard work it warranted but it's OK I reckon. I'll try to post a pic or two later. Thanks for the thread Covkid. It's a great alternative to an expensive respray.

mrsscoobydrew
80-90 Mem No: 1901

Post by mrsscoobydrew »

Hi guys iam painting the roof of the van at the mo, waiting till after tea and cooler temps. But last nite after a shiny first coat the second one has bloomed on the roof. would this be to moistuer in the air. the rest looks great. :D or gone dull if you will.xx
thanks
wendy
Wendy
Member 1901

meggles

Post by meggles »

mrsscoobydrew wrote:Hi guys iam painting the roof of the van at the mo, waiting till after tea and cooler temps. But last nite after a shiny first coat the second one has bloomed on the roof. would this be to moistuer in the air. the rest looks great. :D or gone dull if you will.xx
thanks
wendy

This from an inexperienced non expert! (I've done 4 vans now and done my roof today). Could be due to moisture but I am wondering if you've put the second coat on too soon. Surely if you only painted it last night you won't have been able flat the first coat yet 'cos it won't have hardened. Anyway, what roof is it? Fibre glass? Tintop? Poptop? I've given part of mine (High top) where the colour didn't match, a good flatting (OK, I'm lying here, I had help) and I rollered it. It's quite orange peely and very shiney compared to the rest of the roof but I am going to flat it so it will take the gloss off it a bit. Incidentally my van was rollered last year so is well hardened off and I flatted it and got the shine back with Tcut. Just need to wax it now. Hope the above is helpful.

mrsscoobydrew
80-90 Mem No: 1901

Post by mrsscoobydrew »

Hi yeah its a high top was giving a couple of coats before flating off.i did the very top last so around 8pm. to late iam thinking. :D
Wendy
Member 1901

meggles

Post by meggles »

mrsscoobydrew wrote:Hi yeah its a high top was giving a couple of coats before flating off.i did the very top last so around 8pm. to late iam thinking. :D
Never mind. Leave it a couple of weeks to harden off in this lovely summer we are going to have and then the next coat will make it look ace.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Just a note: I asked about spray cans for touching up little bits without needing to do a whole panel and I ordered a can of hardhat spray in my colour and I am very very impressed with the colour match. You cannot tell
Last edited by Cruz on 20 May 2014, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Rustoleum is resitant to fading so if you stick with a standard RAL colour rather than mixing, a spray touchup can will nearly always match perfectly. Not sure how reds will cope, but I've always been able to match mine (blue) even 7 years on.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

KittyCamper84
80-90 Mem No: 10111

Post by KittyCamper84 »

Ahh tried to fit one off the new windows last night to make it secure and slipped, dropped the glass on the new paint!!!! Chipped it!!!
Jeremy Cooper

1969 Singer Chamois ( sold :( )
1970 Hillman Imp (Violet)
1984 VW T25 Pop Top (Kitty)