Attaching an awning to a Komet

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kcbart
80-90 Mem No: 13167

Attaching an awning to a Komet

Post by kcbart »

Our recently purchased Komet came with an awning, but I am unsure how it attaches to the van. I have read the awning FAQs but need a bit more help please. The awning has a bead along the top side and also some pockets for a pole to go through. The gutters on the van have the base of the high top in them, but there is also a rail above the gutter as in this picture:

The inside of this rail is 6mm across and 5mm high with the gap at the top 3.5mm wide.

Do you think I can use this rail with figure of eight strip or is there some other way to attach the awning?

Many thanks for your help,
Keith and Sue
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 Petrol

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Re: Attaching an awning to a Komet

Post by evilnoodle »

It sounds like you could either slide the beading strip along the rail you have in the pic.....or get a pole, slide it into the pocket, place it into the gutter and clamp it it in place (you can get clamps from most camping shops).

Both work quite well :ok
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

pandp38
80-90 Mem No: 10665

Post by pandp38 »

Hi , having similar problem myself. My awning came with pole and clamps but like yours the high top of my camper sits in the gutter.The pole which came with the awning rests on the gutter but when the clamps are used the middle one catches on the sliding door when opening/closing.I haven't seen the rail you have above the gutter..it could be a "J" rail but am unsure how they work. Mine has a "C" rail fitted which I am pretty sure the figure of 8 atatches to.

Sorry I cannot help anymore.
Paul
1990 Autohomes Kameo 1.9 DG + LPG

wee bugger
80-90 Mem No: 3238

Post by wee bugger »

figure of 8 looks like would slide in...the rail in the picture looks exact same as my curtain tracks - even the measurements look right

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

kcbart wrote:Our recently purchased Komet
Not the same awning rail as on my van.

Can't you ask the previous owner?
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

vwsween
80-90 Mem No: 1368

Post by vwsween »

wee bugger wrote:figure of 8 looks like would slide in...the rail in the picture looks exact same as my curtain tracks - even the measurements look right
I agree, this looks like an upside down curtain rail because the gap where the beading of an awning might fit looks to be rectangular rather than round. You may also be right that a figure of eight strip would fit. The trouble with that method is that there needs to be some tension in the canvas pulling against the strip to keep it from falling out. I would rather fit a double beaded kador strip (google it) into the awning/curtain rail and then fit the figure of eight strips onto the second bead of the kador strip. The beads of the kador are usually 6mm diameter but if that is to big for your awning/curtain rail, you should find a kador with beads of 4mm for the rail and 6mm for the figure of eight. With a kador you don't rely on tension to keep it attached and its easier to attach the awning to the van.
T5 174 Cali.

kcbart
80-90 Mem No: 13167

Post by kcbart »

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll try the figure of eight first. If I'm not happy with that I'll get some kador strip and try that. If all else fails I can always change the awning rail.
Keith and Sue
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 Petrol