12v compressor: anyone used this one?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: 12v compressor: anyone used this one?

Post by Winchweight »

That's a good idea. Need to look at it in more detail.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Yup, that's right Tom.

I've got an anderson connector mounted just inside the tailgate hooked up to the start battery. If i need to give or receive a jump start then its just a case of plugging in the cables rather than having to move everything out of the way and open the engine bay.

At some point in the not so distant future we will have a kit available with all the needed parts to do the same install (for petrol and diesel vans) but i've been searching and searching for the parts to try and keep the cost of the kits down. I can put a kit together right now, but they work out more expensive than i like them to be.

Its a great upgrade though, enables you to power anything else you fancy (like compressors) by just plugging in.

I'm coming to the Mendips meet if anyone wants to have a look. :ok

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

The AA use Anderson connectors on their vans (I had them front and rear on my Ex AA) Very useful to help others (I thought the system ran through a relay and diode so it was one way so no good for anyone wanting to jump me (oo errr miss's)

The plugs are pretty hefty and bulky - well the one Ihad was
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

I fitted these to mobile service transhite vans, one on the front slam panel direct to the main battery and one inside the tailgate to a slave battery, no relay fitted and of the dozens of vans fitted out never had a problem.

I used h/d welding cable to make up the jumpleads.

I have a set to fit on my van, one tucked behind the rear inspection hatch (no need to open the tailgate) and one inside the sliding door, just haven't got round to it yet................................ :roll:
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

I've got one of these which I've had for years http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/300P ... 30033.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They are American and really well made.

It is dry lubed so can run at any angle and they have plenty of power to air up Syncro tyres after off road use. I usually have an Anderson connector attached to the leisure battery and just plug it in. I am about to move leisure batteries to the bottom of the wardrobe so will probably connect to the starter battery now as I have a petrol.

Combined with a set of these http://4x4overlander.com/tyre-equipment ... akers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Jed and Al would have no tyre worries on long expeditions.

Mind you - just seen what price they go for now (Viair and Tyre Pliers). I think the exchange rate was loads better when I bought mine. :shock: :shock: Still I guess its a case of you get what you pay for...
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Syncrobaz wrote:I fitted these to mobile service transhite vans, one on the front slam panel direct to the main battery and one inside the tailgate to a slave battery, no relay fitted and of the dozens of vans fitted out never had a problem.

I used h/d welding cable to make up the jumpleads.

I have a set to fit on my van, one tucked behind the rear inspection hatch (no need to open the tailgate) and one inside the sliding door, just haven't got round to it yet................................ :roll:

Wish I'd known that back then, i'd have made more use of it. I had a button on the dash to activte it and it made a definate 'clunk'
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

Could any of the compressors mentioned be used to seat tyres? I have a dunlop 12v inflator but could do with something with a storage cylinder to give a good blast of air to seat tubeless downhill mountain bike tyres? These seem to need a surprisingly good blow to get them to seat!!

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

one tucked behind the rear inspection hatch (no need to open the tailgate)

I had mine mounted outside the van for quite a while, but decided to move it inside the tail gate as i have to open it anyway, that's where i store the leads.

Also the connector was suffering corrosion from being out in the elements. Behind the inpsection hatch should be alright though, warm in there. I couldn't put mine there as my 240 hook socket is already on the back of the hatch.