CU non-starter - engine solid

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: CU non-starter - engine solid

Post by CJH »

81AirCooled wrote:I asked him to check without plug first and was told it will turn very slowly with no plugs i.e. when there is not pressure but as soon as the plugs are back in it's rock solid.

I'm no expert, but isn't this basically good news? Doesn't it mean that it's not 'mechanically' locked, i.e. no dropped valves, that sort of thing? And wouldn't you expect a new engine to be a bit tight (OK, not so tight that the starter won't turn it)? Was your garage testing it by turning it by hand or on the starter? Did they separate it from the gearbox?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

I've just got in...

Dear me... what is wrong here... :?

Your valves are new..

Nothing has 'dropped'..

This is a 'plug and play' engine..

There are only 3 reasons why it will not turn on the starter..

1) The starter has been jammed.. in some way.. the motor has overheated when you tried it again...

Was there...is there a 'burnt motor ' smell....if you had a hot live wire to the starter.. then the current is/was going through

but not turning..or only slowly..

2) The gearbox earth lead is a bad connection.... corrosion or loose bolt to the earth strap...at either end..

It is possible, with a faulty earth return, for the current to find another route.. eg by the heater cables.. to allow current to flow, but with lots of resistance.. look for a 'spot weld' mark on the the throttle or the heater wires..

3 The gearbox is locked solid... maybe hydraulic fluid.. or a physical block.. something jamming the torque converter...

You'll get it sorted... :wink:

Cordialement,

:ok

81AirCooled
80-90 Mem No: 8770

Post by 81AirCooled »

Went to speak to the workshop. Apparently engine won't turn by hand at all plugs out or in. They didn't remove from the gearbox because there's no need as he said if that was at fault there would be damage there.

He says the oil is still so clean that it looks like it hasn't been through the engine at all, theirs just no discolouring. While I was checking all the electrics a couple of weeks ago I noticed the spade connecter behind the dizzy had come off which I assumed was for oil pressure sensor. Is that also the oil pump?
1981 2.0l Aircooled ex German post office van coverted to camper.

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

That's just the sender!

If the box has jammed the motor won't turn by hand, IMHO its gotta come back out.
98 Westfalia James Cook

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

81AirCooled wrote: He says the oil is still so clean that it looks like it hasn't been through the engine at all, theirs just no discolouring.

That's because the engine's been rebuilt - there are no old oil deposits to discolour the new oil. Nothing to worry about there.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

81AirCooled
80-90 Mem No: 8770

Post by 81AirCooled »

CJH wrote:
81AirCooled wrote: He says the oil is still so clean that it looks like it hasn't been through the engine at all, theirs just no discolouring.

That's because the engine's been rebuilt - there are no old oil deposits to discolour the new oil. Nothing to worry about there.

Only what was left of the oil used to test run and set up the timing. I can't say that would be enough to disclosure it but I'll take your word for it.

I'll either tow it back here or to the hobby workshop. Will have to get the engine off complete with torque converter if it really can't be turned by hand.
1981 2.0l Aircooled ex German post office van coverted to camper.