Engine temperature sensor broken

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bestonestaken
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Engine temperature sensor broken

Post by bestonestaken »

Thanks everyone. Excellent advice. If I change this, will coolant come out, or is in in an air line?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

bestonestaken wrote: If I change this, will coolant come out, or is in in an air line?

It measures coolant temperature not air temperature, so there is coolant behind the switch .
Some coolant will be lost, but if you change them quickly, and you can change them quickly... then not much at all
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

bestonestaken
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bestonestaken »

Thanks again. I have heard that topping up coolant is not easy - if I get this changed quickly, will I need to top up, will I get an airlock, or should it be ok?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

bestonestaken wrote:Thanks again. I have heard that topping up coolant is not easy - if I get this changed quickly, will I need to top up, will I get an airlock, or should it be ok?

When you say you have heard that "topping up the coolant is not easy", two things arise. Firstly it is dead easy, and secondly, surely you have checked the coolant level since you bought the van ? Topping up is the same as checking the coolant with the exception that you pour some water in if it needs it. Well if "we" want to be really accurate, one should mix some 50/50 antifreeze (of the same type as is in the van) and use that to top up.

On vehicles of this age I suggest you should be checking coolant and oil levels at least once a week. It only takes 60 seconds ;)

For the record (in case you didn't know) the header tank, where you check the level and top up if required, is the white one at the left hand rear of the engine bay. Be careful not to use the thin pipe on the cap as a "twisting handle" as they have been known to break off :twisted: That tank should be full to the brim.

The other tank (behind the number plate flap is called an expansion tank and when the engine is cold should be around half full.

I would for sure check if it needs topping up (left hand tank) after changing that switch, though in reality you will likely only lose a cup full of coolant. As long as you only lose about this much, you won't get an airlock.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

bestonestaken wrote: if I get this changed quickly, will I need to top up, will I get an airlock, ?
No
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)