Restoration of Cookie begins

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Cookie is my first van and definitely not in my opinion as solid my partners van. The rule about not buying the first van you see is good and although its relatively straight, there was a few jobs I knew needed doing. With hindsight I should have shopped around more but I know the van so well now and am really attached to it. The engine seems good and reliable.

I spent a couple of days stripping out the entire interior, with the amount of welding planned it was recommended to take it out, as I have a replacement lined up I had no qualms about taking it all out. As posted on the blog it was a nightmare to remove and installed with belt, braces and extra screws wherever possible.

Work has begun on the body to remove the rot and weld in new panels at the same time, it has also begun on prepping the paintwork, sanding it back (eventually) to bare metal.

Some of the welding is also undoing historic mot repairs which werent really the highest quality repair and returning them to how they should be. It really shows why it's important to seek out skilled bodywork experts if you want a clean job. MOT stations will get you road legal but it may be a short term fix and you also end up paying again to have it put right.

Jobs on the list at Voodoo Works:
Rear wheel arches which are probably the worst area we've found and wasn't part of the initial plan, but they need doing or the rest of the restoration will be wasted.
Back corners, common rot spot
Rear wings, again seams were rusty and some internal rust so off them come and replace them both.
Offside middle panel bottom/floor, lower fridge vent has let in a lot nd caused rot. Pondering not having a vent but back in on the lower part and just sticking with the upper.
Near side step
Front lower panel, common water trap, corner to be cut out and replaced as opposed to entire panel.
Sills.
Windows out and paint prep to follow.

Exciting to know the van will be sorted and good to know the rest is solid and straight. I really pondered long and hard whether to restore or just move onto another van, but in the end I decided it's far better to know the intimate details and whats been done. Hopefully I won't regret it, judging by their previous work I won't.

Interior
Trying to plan and prep for interior changes in the meantime. Although it was a leisuredrive, the plan is to install a hold worth interior I sourced.

Interior Jobs planned for winter
Replace ply floor base any recommended suppliers?
Re-line van and pop top headlining easy to do myself or better to get someone in?
Renovate Holdsworth interior and install.

Enjoy 2014 season.

Planned paint colours is two tone, baby blue lower and white upper, not colours I've seen often on a VW t25. As it won't be cookie monster blue anymore the name may have to change ;)

Full write ups on
http://t25campervan.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

MattBW

Re: Restoration of Cookie begins

Post by MattBW »

oh and pondering a compresser fridge like the Cr50 instead of the rather old 3way.
2015 California Beach

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Good luck with it Matt & keep the updates coming :ok
I'm sure it'll look the nuts when it's been done.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Making a good start there . :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

Been back for a couple of visits and every day the van has something more done.

It's been bare metalled in places, all rust cut out and repaired. Windows are all out. The sinking feeling of worrying what might be found next has gone and now its the excitement of progress. I can really start to imagine the end result and wow its exciting.

Wheel arches internals have been rebuilt on one side, other in progress. The back corners and rear valance next on list, only ends are rusty and complete panel is v expensive. Nick is trying to work out a decent repair instead ofa costly one for a panel that is 90% solid. Small rust hole in tail floor has been removed and replaced with new metal too.

Front panel repaired (cut out the rusty from the water trap and welded in new piece. Then red oxide applied, same with side panel and lower repair.

Wooden floor ripped up and so happy to see it rock solid and like new under there, it was the one area I was paranoid about.

Ordered sliding door skin for inner and outer lower , rest of door is solid. Small repair but recommended over a repair which could see rust comes back.

Need a new cab door sadly, as the skin is bad, Nick recommends replacing the skin and not repairing, as it will come back in no time with a repair. Shame as door is good too, only the upper skin is bad. Can't find upper skin anywhere only lowers, so looks like a whole door is in order.

ImageImageImage
Last I saw they were gtting rid of the paint, then I came back a few days later and the windows were out and red oxide applied.

Massively impressed with Nick and Russ, always looking to do the best job for the least money out of my pocket. After seeing V's van which was only a partial repair, which now looks amazing, I am so excited to see what they do with mine.
2015 California Beach

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

Final stretch now and just waiting for a door to be delivered today before the last wheel arch goes on.

Rear corners and inner wheel arches all sorted at the back.

The rear valance was solid except for the corners and the guys felt a 250 valance was a waste for such small rust areas and fabricated the end pieces themselves, saved me a few quid there too.

Sliding door inner skin done and outer in progress before red oxide.

ImageImageImageI'm told within the next week I need to choose my paint :-)
2015 California Beach

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Wow...looking good. Darn quick too :ok
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

All primered and ready for the paint.

2015 California Beach

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

First coat of blue going on ImageImageImage
2015 California Beach

Dave307
80-90 Mem No: 10742

Post by Dave307 »

Mate looking good. I bet you can't wait now. Those boys are fast. Never seen so much covered so quick.

Nice colour different but not in your face. Keep the thread going enjoying the read and the pics.
Dave.

1986 watercooled 1.9DG

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

Was very exciting to see the paint going on. Lower colour is Olympic blue upper is a vw white that's slightly creamy to blend with the poptop.

I agree they really have moved it along rapidly and bizarrely they're always apologising for it not being faster. I have gone a bit mental and my tidy up has turned into a proper Resto to be honest but I'm massively happy with the job.

I'm going to miss going up to have a chat when it's finished. I'll just have to go without a reason :)
2015 California Beach

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Funbus »

That looks sweet and should see you right for good few years. Make sure you post some pics when finished. I'm thinking of going same colours but with a high top although I do think 2 tone hi tops look like upturned boats so I want to get the colour right.

Keep up the good work!!

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Getting there Matt, not long now mate! :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

Just have to find the funds for the inside now. Not sure I can bring myself to put an old interior back on hmmmm
2015 California Beach

MattBW

Post by MattBW »

ImageImageImageImage

Getting there, doors almost ready to go on :-D
2015 California Beach