Maybe caving in and buying a Waeco CR 50

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Maybe caving in and buying a Waeco CR 50

Post by oorwullie »

Theolegit wrote:Wow sounds interesting have you any pics of it installed?

you want to see pics of a bay window bus? :shock:

(in the end i actually had to turn the compressor 90° to the right so i could connect the pipes.)
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

oorwullie wrote:
ninja.turtle007 wrote:
I checked for drains and amps drawn by the fridge. Less than 0.1a drain on the whole setup and the fridge pulls 3.5A when running. I checked the specs and at an ambient temp of 25C, it should draw an average of 1.4 amps per hour. With the 2x 100A/H batteries I would expect 72 hours without discharging below a safe level.

i assume you do understand that the compressor doesn't run constantly but only for about a total of 6 minutes in an hour? i roughly calculate that with all those amps you have on board the fridge should run for a month before the voltage drops to cutoff level! :ok

My understanding is that you can only safely use around 50% of the A/H rating with a lead acid battery.

The amount of time the compressor is running is directly affected by the ambient temp of the van, and how many room temp beers are put in per hour!! :D

I think my calculations above are pretty realistic.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Tom, its highly possible they might have been duff when you bought them.

If batteries have been laying around for a long time on a shelf somewhere not being charged then they will most likely be dead.
You could well have fallen foul of this without realising, quite naturally when you purchase a new battery you expect it to be good.

I knew something was up with your system. It was a good home brew test you did there by the way, basically a controlled load test. Very nice thinking.

If it helps at all, I cant praise enough the Bosch starter battery I bought a few months back (silver edition or something like that) it's very high quality. And was relatively cheap from euro car parts.

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oorwullie »

i'm not disputing your calculations , just saying that your 72 hours do not equate to 4 days as far as fridge operation is concerned. :idea:

50% of my 66 amps would be 33, 8 days at 1 amp per hour is already way off the scale in that case. maybe i need to install a volt and amp meter............. :rofl

obviously the higher the ambient temperature the more the compressor will be called on to run via the thermostat. but how often do ye get +30° in the UK? :mrgreen:

i'll be interested to see how mine checks out next summer if and when we get seriously normal temps for my latitude.

but i'm convinced that with the spare battery charging when driving i'll have cold beer forever.bring on the hot chicks.............. :ok

ps, new with 3 years garantee 66 amp battery here is about £60 . for the 110 amper i paid about £75 , also with 3 year no questions asked garantee. 8)

thank gawd for farmers co-ops. :rollin
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

v-lux wrote:Tom, its highly possible they might have been duff when you bought them.

If batteries have been laying around for a long time on a shelf somewhere not being charged then they will most likely be dead.
You could well have fallen foul of this without realising, quite naturally when you purchase a new battery you expect it to be good.

I knew something was up with your system. It was a good home brew test you did there by the way, basically a controlled load test. Very nice thinking.

If it helps at all, I cant praise enough the Bosch starter battery I bought a few months back (silver edition or something like that) it's very high quality. And was relatively cheap from euro car parts.

Is it a Bosch S5 Silver Calcium ?
Just been reading about them.

http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co ... nology.php
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

Yup, Bosch S5 that's the one!

AA man even commented on how good the battery is when he was turning my engine over trying to get it to start a while back (thats another story....)

I reckon they would make a good leisure battery option given how it just kept delivering power....

ninja.turtle007

I sent both batteries back. Today I contacted Tayna and they had finished testing one battery, which was a fail. The result for the second battery will be available on Monday. Which going from my load test will be a fail too.

I have asked for the replacement batteries to be tested before shipping which they are happy to do. I want to try and stick with the brand I had before because they literally only just fit and have a large capacity.

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

A battery is a battery at the end of the day, as long as they test them before sending and they are guaranteed then you should be good.

Just for peace of mind, stick a volt meter on them when they arrive and check the voltage is what it should be (about 12.6 - 12.8 is pretty satisfactory)

You've got your Sterling remote control now too, so you should be able to keep very close eye on things. :ok

ninja.turtle007

Both batteries are duff. The manager at Tayna basically said these batteries are not up to the demands I am using them for and gave me a full refund. He suggested buying a premium branded battery. Sounds like that have a lot of issues with these batteries.

A bit of a pain really as I manged to shoe horn two 100AH batteries into the given space. I am now waiting for delivery of two Bosch S5 77AH batteries. They cost a few £'s more but I will see how I get on with them.

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

I have two Tayna 110ah leisure batts in my T4 and they seem just fine running lights, fridge, phone chargers etc...
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

If the S5 I've got is anything to go by Tom, you won't be disappointed.

I'm amazed by them, if/when my liesure bank gives up, I'll probably replace them S5's.

Even dropping your Ah's, its going to be SO much better than it was!!

slowbus
80-90 Mem No: 3678

Post by slowbus »

Thanks to Jed et al for your postings which pointed me to a Waeco CR50. I bow to you guys on your knowledge of electrical items and fitting but was wondering if I could share the inspiration I had when making the lower drawer and surround (forgive me if anyone else thought of it before me). In order to keep everything matching the rest of my cabinets, I removed the interior plastic trays, backing, seal and hinges from my old fridge door then cut up the door to make my new cabinet parts

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

Just to let people know, we will have the CR50 available on CVC very soon and are planning to offer it with a fitting kit to make the draw etc easy peasy.

;)

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

In order to keep everything matching the rest of my cabinets, I removed the interior plastic trays, backing, seal and hinges from my old fridge door then cut up the door to make my new cabinet parts

Nice work by the way! Looks real tidy!

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

Not on the shop yet, but if anyone is interested in a Weaco CR50 then get in touch, we can get them.

Not sorted out the fitting kit completely yet, but it's coming. :ok