Blocked cat?...

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Blocked cat?...

Post by AdrianC »

The J-pipe on the BW stainless has the lambda boss in it - so, if your silencer and J are iffy as well, might as well just change everything elbow-aft and save fannying about with recalcitrant exhaust bolts.

It's only money, after all... <grin>
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

graeme1210
80-90 Mem No: 3483

Post by graeme1210 »

As the parts aren't available and i need to get it back running shortly i've decided to replace the cat and the sensor rather than the whole exhaust. the Cat is quite reasonable even with shipping from bus depot in the states. Generally a much cheaper option than a full new system. Figure it keeps it as it's always been aswell.

Started it up today and the cat rattles like an old bag of spanners which it didn't do before so it's clearly shot.
1987 Vanagon GL 2.1 MV engine code

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

VW do the decat pipe , but weirdly it doesn't have a boss, but easy enough to have one welded in, brickie did mine a few years ago
make sure you get the correct bosch lambda, silly money from VW but bosch own alternative £65

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The problem of course, is any future exhaust replacement will tie you down to the shorter silencer on the MV. All I can assume is you have an environmental agenda and really feel strongly about the MV's greener credentials lol....
If that's not the case? then a de-cat pipe with boss for the lambda probe really won't upset the running...in fact you will actually gain a few brake horse power from the CATS removal.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

graeme1210
80-90 Mem No: 3483

Post by graeme1210 »

New cat, new lambda probe all good. Putting aside some cash for a stainless system in the future. But for now fixed and fully working so happy, cheers for help all. Graeme
1987 Vanagon GL 2.1 MV engine code

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

Great news, I'm glad you got it sorted.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)