wheel arch liners

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

wheel arch liners

Post by PetenAli »

I fitted a set of these at the weekend. What do experienced Syncronauts think of them?

The previous weekend I cleaned the arches really well and lagged them in Hammerite underseal with extra waxoyl (picked up two years ago for £1.89 per Schutz litre - I emptied the shop at that price!).

The rears went in nicely. Thanks to KINGPRAWN on here for the tip about riveting them in place (see pic below).

The fronts were a struggle but went in the end. I went for a drive afterwards to check that they weren't flapping about at any speed. That was OK but when I got back and turned on full left lock the front offside fouled on the tyre rim. I will probably cable tie that out of the way.

I will be keeping an eye on whether any wet mud gets caught behind them - which would defeat the purpose. The fronts look like they may be more susceptible to this.

Pics:
Rear arch with underseal.
Liner fitted with rivet to hold it in place.
Red is reflection of my overalls!

I'd be interested to know what other's experience is of them.

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Re: wheel arch liners

Post by Mudlark »

The only thing i would be concerned about is trapping an accumulation of dust and debris between the liners and the wheel arch which could accelerate rot if it stays wet. But you know that :D
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Mudlark wrote:The only thing i would be concerned about is trapping an accumulation of dust and debris between the liners and the wheel arch which could accelerate rot if it stays wet. But you know that :D

Well considering he has Shultz'd the bejaysus out of the arches and the fact that as its a Syncro and the plastic arches will have to come out to fix something, Id say he has nothing to worry about :D :D :D :D :D
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

syncropaddy wrote:
Mudlark wrote:The only thing i would be concerned about is trapping an accumulation of dust and debris between the liners and the wheel arch which could accelerate rot if it stays wet. But you know that :D

Well considering he has Shultz'd the bejaysus out of the arches and the fact that as its a Syncro and the plastic arches will have to come out to fix something, Id say he has nothing to worry about :D :D :D :D :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Seems like the liners might turn out to be superfluous then? Probably should just have stuck with the underseal. Still someone else may benefit which seems to me to be a lot of what the forum is about. Lesson is - ask on here before doing. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Syncronaut #171

footstuck
80-90 Mem No: 7622

Post by footstuck »

I recon it'll help keep the salt away from the places you didn't get with the underseal/waxoyl.
If they are an easy in and out, Id fit a set.

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Given the amount of sh!te that gets wedged up in all the corners I've always thought they would be a good idea.
Came very close to buying a set a while back, but wanted to be able to hold them in my hand and see what i thought before spending out on them.

I've also wondered whether they would fit with extended arches or not? i guessed probably not and as i intend to stretch mine in the near future its was yet another factor in not buying some.

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

syncropaddy wrote:

No L in Shutz :wink:
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

Simon Baxter wrote:

According to the Brickwerks website (and many other equally distinguished sources!) Schutz does have a "C" in it though. :wink:

Syncronaut #171

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

Pete.. Perhaps I forgot to mention that on full lock mine also pickup a corner and give a bark!! But since fitting the bigger wheels and AT types this happend on the spats aswell, so I guess we just live with it.... No harm seems to come of it!!
in too deep to quit now....

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Simon Baxter wrote:

Probably why I cant find it on the shelves ............. :oops:
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Holydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2605

Post by Holydiver »

I hope they're worth fitting because I asked the Mrs for a set for Xmas, Hope you got the order Simon????
Atlantic westy 91, Golf mk1 cabrio and looking to add a syncro to the list :-)

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

Pete?

I've got a pair for the back and offered them up last week. I could figure if the liner was supposed to locate just behind/inside the wheel arch flair (and therefore can't be seen), or was supposed to be flush with the wheel arch (and therefor can be seen).

The first looks much much better but I wondered about water and mud in the half inch section of the wheel arch flair exposed?
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

Mine have been in place for a couple of years now.... T
In this time I have replaced one rear and should replace a front at some point soon. They are not very strong, I would expect Mr JEDTHESPREAD would destroy them in a matter of minutes on the sort of trails he does! But for muddy tracks (without rocks) or wet sandy places they're good . They could do with some kind of clips or lugs as they do seem to have settled from when I first fitted them and they do clatter in a strong cross wind.... 6/10 I guess would be fair!!!
in too deep to quit now....

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Some vehicles are prone to dislodging their arch liners when driven through flood puddles and fords, but usually because the driver is driving in the rain like a coq...

If they are a good snug fit at the arch lip, then i suppose they'd significanly reduce silt build up on the seam flanges and stones from eroding the underseal, which is half the battle. FWIW, I recall that the 2002 Allroad used a spray/noise reducing arch liner at the rear, not unlike an industrial carpet material. Fronts were moulded plastic.

A good idea if you've spent hard cash on a good solid van or had a load of resto work done, imho.