No Spark on 1.9DG Petrol

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

No Spark on 1.9DG Petrol

Post by syncroand101 »

Hi all

I was helping my neighbour with his newly acquired 1.9DG Autohomes, rescued from certain rusty death out of someones driveway/garden.

Have got it turning over nicely after cleaning up all the starter connections and putting a new battery on, have fuel coming through nicely. But cannot get a spark, cleaned up all earths (inc that engine one). Tried to get a spark from the king lead, nothing. I can't find a thread or bit on the WIKI for testing the coil? Anyone got a good easy 123 (not done petrols since going dirty diesel a while ago).

Thanks! :pimp

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Re: No Spark on 1.9DG Petrol

Post by axeman »

i take it that there is power to the coil?

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Hall sender is a suspect here.
But work your way back in reverse order of spark process

Coil, ingnition amp, hall sender.
Try to eliminate with known used items before the purchase
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

You can test the coil by doing this =

Remove all the small connectors off the coil, making careful note of where they where !!

Temporarily connect one side of the coil to an earth.

Temporarily connect a thin piece of wire to the red wired terminal inside the big black box on the firewall (forward of the coil as you look in the engine bay. A small crock clip is handy here (if you have one). Take great care as that exposed terminal is live with 12 volts all the time ! Don't let the wire touch anything !

Now arrange your king lead so the end is a couple of millimetres away from a bit of the engine casing. I prefer to wedge it like this as I don't like holding a wire that has got 10s of thousands of volts in it when sparking !!

Now "flick" that live wire across the other terminal of the coil and look for a healthy spark. NOTE = it is important that you only "flick" the wire across the coil terminal as these vans have electronic ignition and the coils are NOT designed to have 12 volts across them for more than a fraction of a second at a time.

Next to the hall effect pickup in the dizzy, the ignition amp (small black box by the big black box as mentioned above) is the next suspect.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

Cheers lads.

Neil - yeah coil had voltage. Will have to do that test to check it, otherwise we'll get a replacement Hall Sender..

Ta

kernowkamper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by kernowkamper »

Hey guys,

Well, 1st of all thanks for your help. I'm the neighbour in discussion, still no joy I'm afraid but ill be honest I'm not mechanicaly minded at all. I'll wait for somebody who knows what there doing to have another look (Jake). Just getting a tad inpatient now as I want the old girl on the road.

Thanks.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Well you're in the right place - and welcome!!! :D

Between us, we'll get you going.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

CovKid wrote:Well you're in the right place - and welcome!!! :D

Between us, we'll get you going.

Or go TDi! :lol:

Welcome by the way. :ok

The best way to test the coil is to buy one from GSF and return it if it makes no difference. I have done in the past.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

kernowkamper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by kernowkamper »

Hey guys, so just a little update. After having Jake and my brother in law both have a look we come to the conclusion it was nothing major. My brother in law tested everything which did take some time. In the end I replaced the ignition module which I sourced locally for £40 which I didn't think was to bad, unplugged the old,connected the new and hey presto.....SHES ALIVE :D :P

So thanks to all for your help. Today she had a good clean n check over ready for not nxt week so happy days.

Cheers again guys :ok