Fitting a table to the interior

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rfarey
80-90 Mem No: 10402

Fitting a table to the interior

Post by rfarey »

Hi All

I am just about to finish off my interior by fitting a table. Its going to be one of those with a hole in the floor with a metal insert and then a leg that fits into it. I have got the parts, but looking at it, the well for the floor looks very deep at 47mm. I have the original ply on the floor and then some laminate flooring on top of that, but I don't think that adds up to 47mm plus.....

Any one fitted one and have advice about where to fit it/how to fit it and if I will end up drilling a big hole through the bottom of the van or not?

Thanks
Rob
1984 Blue/white Autohomes Camper
Bilbo replacement hightop
1.9 DG Petrol 76PS Caravelle Automatic

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Fitting a table to the interior

Post by Ian Hulley »

rfarey wrote:if I will end up drilling a big hole through the bottom of the van or not?

Thanks
Rob

Big hole o'clock :wink: Just be VERY carefull where you put it as there's lots of things Herr Volkswagen put under there to get in your way. :evil:

Ian :pimp
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

did same with mine got a hole saw in drill and drilled through wood and metal floor,nice and neat.then put a run of silican around bottom to stop water gettin in,.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I was going to do floor mount but I hate making holes in the body.
In the end I found a scissor table leg off an old picnic table that does the job nicely.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ja9allen
80-90 Mem No: 8244

Post by ja9allen »

I didn't fancy cutting into the floor of van either. Looking at the table leg and the flush floor fitting I worked out the leg doesn't go all the way in anyway, so the fitting is too deep. I cut a bit off the bottom of the flush floor fitting with metal bladed hacksaw quite easily and drilled hole through the floor ply but not into the metal. Fitted table leg holder into that and it works ok, but the ply floor on my van is quite thick.
Kenny the Camper
1984 1.9 DG Petrol