1.6TD engine idle speed?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowbus
80-90 Mem No: 3678

1.6TD engine idle speed?

Post by slowbus »

Hi. Please make a cup of tea before reading this. I Haven't been around lately as my van seems to have spent the better part of this year so far in the garage. I'm wondering what my engine idle speed should be as it now feels to be to high, but heres a (long) explanation why. I've had a new cyl/head and glow plugs fitted about 500 miles ago. After fitting the engine was running smoother than ever when warm, but from cold it was a beast. Even with cold start lever it was difficult to keep revs up for first couple of minutes and I had to notify neighbours to keep doors and windows closed due to smoke cloud. I spoke to my garage about this and we decided to keep an eye on it until my 500 mile inspection (to check torque settings on head). After inspection my garage sent the van to a bosch agent to have injectors serviced (this agent rebuilt my injector pump earlier in the year, taking them 2 weeks to return my van). Now another 2 weeks later I have the van back from them. The cold start is much better (though still having to use cold start lever) it's not as lumpy and there is only a small amount of smoke for about 10-20 seconds. But the idle speed when cold or warm is just under 1000rpm and in my mind the engine feels as if it is racing all the time. When I got the van back after cyl head fitment it idled about 850rpm. Is there a definitive speed it should be sitting at and can it be adjusted without sending it back to the bosch agent..
Many thanks for taking the time to read avout my woes
John

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: 1.6TD engine idle speed?

Post by bigherb »

1600 CS and JX 820 +-50 RPM
1700 KY 900+-30 RPM
Adjusted via the throttle stop screw.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Thanks for the reply Bigherb. I take it this stop screw is on the pump

slowbus

Post by slowbus »

Sorted.... got it down to about 870rpm and it seems just right.
Thanks again.