camping with babies - highchairs?

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

janieh
80-90 Mem No: 7991

camping with babies - highchairs?

Post by janieh »

We're having our first camping trip with our little one at easter. She's 7 months now. One thing I've realised I'm not sure about is what to do about feeding her - our highchair is quite big and I don't really want to take it with us. Does anyone have any suggestions? do you bother taking a highchair or just sit them on your knees?

cheers.
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: camping with babies - highchairs?

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

In her car seat but propped up a little so she isn't lying back too far.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Highchair - would be madness. Feed em on your lap or in a fold up pushchair (one bit of kit that is so useful with tiny peeps.). That worked for us.
:ok

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Just let her graze. Peg in the ground with a dog lead or similar, then spread food around in a circular fashion from the peg. (Just be careful to check the food is close enough to reach whilst wearing the lead)
You could also make it more fun for the baby by also leaving out toys like small Lego pieces, marbles ect
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Agreed. Car seat.
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Yep.. Car seat.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Sleedale
80-90 Mem No: 11478

Post by Sleedale »

You can buy 'camping' high chairs, but I have no idea how small they fold to or how stable they are. Anything 'camping ' related should be quite lightweight, therefore perhaps not quite as strong or stable. I hunk I've also seen a sling type thing that fits over a dining chair, would this sort of thing work? Failing all those, car seat or knee :ok
Sue
1985 1.9 DG petrol, 4 speed, wasserboxer, Cavalier Coachman Classic

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

No what you need is a Bumbo seat!

http://www.mothercare.com/Bumbo-Baby-Si ... lt,pd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Ralf85 wrote:Highchair - would be madness. Feed em on your lap or in a fold up pushchair (one bit of kit that is so useful with tiny peeps.). That worked for us.

The reason I suggest a fold up pushchair is it is such a versatile piece of kit. It is high enough to feed a little one in. It also allows you to leave your camper on a campsite and explore on foot. The additional bonus is you can load it up with food etc to bring back for the evening meal. It is an alternative option. Additionally it is easy to clean after the little one has slobbered food all over the place and can dry out overnight ready for the next day's excursion. Whichever way you do it, have fun.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Ralf85 wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:Highchair - would be madness. Feed em on your lap or in a fold up pushchair (one bit of kit that is so useful with tiny peeps.). That worked for us.

The reason I suggest a fold up pushchair is it is such a versatile piece of kit. It is high enough to feed a little one in. It also allows you to leave your camper on a campsite and explore on foot. The additional bonus is you can load it up with food etc to bring back for the evening meal. It is an alternative option. Additionally it is easy to clean after the little one has slobbered food all over the place and can dry out overnight ready for the next day's excursion. Whichever way you do it, have fun.

I agree, if we have the buggy we use that if we are sitting outside, but we don't always take it with us but we always have a car seat.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

leelisa26
80-90 Mem No: 11564

Post by leelisa26 »

the best thing we did is went to mamas and papas and brought a high chair but the legs are quick release and come to bits in seconds and the seat can be used at two different heights and is easy to pack its been a godsend for us in and out the van. it wasnt cheap tho it was £60

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Never took the high chair even though ours was one of those cheap ikea plastic ones with the removable legs.

Looking back to when our daughter was about one we had an old back carrier that someone had handed down. It had a fold out leg so could be used like a high chair. Used to plonk her in that for meal times when outside. Do a google image search on Tomy Snugli to see the one I mean.

Apart from that we too found the car seat handy when eating in the van and also the fold up pushchair came in handy when she was a bit older and got a proper back carrier that was comfortable to walk around in. I wish I had thought of Lloyds tether idea as she loved toddling off to other campers to steal their beer if you took your eye off her for a few seconds.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

cleagarr
80-90 Mem No: 11523

Post by cleagarr »

We used something like this: http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Fe ... osition=14

It folded down into a small enough size and was good for taking into pub garden, using on benches etc as you could use the straps to secure it. Was also good to use as place to put the baby with some crayons/paper etc.
All I ask is for the chance to prove that money won't make me happy.

1989 Transporter 1.6TD original engine.

janieh
80-90 Mem No: 7991

Post by janieh »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We have a folding buggy that we'll have with us, so that might do. Only thing is that feeding is currently so messy I don't really want food all over it! Same for the car seat. I might consider getting one of those boosters or bumbo seats as she could always use that at home as well.
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

janieh wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We have a folding buggy that we'll have with us, so that might do. Only thing is that feeding is currently so messy I don't really want food all over it! Same for the car seat. I might consider getting one of those boosters or bumbo seats as she could always use that at home as well.

Thats why I recommend the bumbo seat as you can spray and wipe clean and get on with your holiday. Other options you'll be digging out banana and god knows what from the seams!! The bumbo seat was also great in the van for playing in eg sit them in it and put it in the drivers seat and the tray has 2 groves where the toys slot in. We have used it in restaurants (who uses those gross highchairs anyway?!) and the grand parents house or pretty much everywhere she needs to eat or play. Also they will help him/her with sitting up if he/she hasn't yet.

Rob
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;