Camping in France

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ottojsy
80-90 Mem No: 11964

Camping in France

Post by Ottojsy »

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good small family frendly campsite in Provence - (nothing too full on)

We'd like to spend a few days traveling down there staying in France passions, airs etc
Just need to book in a place for a week to give us somewhere to head for.

First big trip in the van, so any suggestion greatly appreciated

Cheers

Mike

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: Camping in France

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

You're welcome to stop by us.. :)

Shady parking, hookup, and extensive VW workshop..

PM me for details etc if you're interested..

Cordialement,

:ok

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Ottojsy wrote:Hi
Can anyone recommend a good small family frendly campsite in Provence - (nothing too full on)

We'd like to spend a few days traveling down there staying in France passions, airs etc
Just need to book in a place for a week to give us somewhere to head for.

First big trip in the van, so any suggestion greatly appreciated

Cheers

Mike

Whereabouts in Provence are you intending to go and when? July/August is a madhouse during those months near the coast, as a large part of France heads for the Med. We did that crazy trip for a number of years and if you like it hot and busy that is the place to be. However if you intend to travel there in May/June it is much more relaxed. All campsites in France are family/young people in tents/biker friendly from my experience. It's not the UK. If you confirm what you are looking for I may be able to help as long as it is near the coast.
Patrick :ok

Ottojsy

Post by Ottojsy »

Hi Patrick
Thanks for your reply. Not a hundred percent sure but like the look of the Verdon Gorge?
Not to fussed about heading to the coast- we live in jersey so get to spend most of the summer on the beach.
Would like to be by a river/ lake
Lots more research needed I think.

Mike
Last edited by Ottojsy on 15 Mar 2013, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Hi Mike

It also depends upon how much time you have for your holiday too. In a T25 I would expect that to be three day drive to get to that part of France, especially with kids (call me a softie but travelling is tough/boring for them)who need to stop travelling by about 5.00pm and from my experience they need a playground to let off steam. Aires generally do not provide this option.

Patrick

Ottojsy

Post by Ottojsy »

That sounds about right we've got just over two weeks.
I was thinking 3-4 traveling hopefully finding some cool passion sites on route.

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

Indeed it gets a bit hectic down there during les grandes vacances, driving back from Orange a couple of years ago the queue on the south bound autoroute was epic! It took over an hour driving the opposite direction before it started thinning out so it must of been over 70 miles long. I can see why though Provence is beautiful.
Quit ad modum panis tosti

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Ottojsy wrote:Hi Patrick
Thanks for your reply. Not a hundred percent sure but like the look ok the Verdon Gorge?
Not to fussed about heading to the cost - we live in jersey so get to spend most of the summer on the beach.
Would like to be by a river/ lake
Lots more research needed I think.

Mike

Hi Mike, we spent a few days in the Verdon Gorge last year and I have to say it was amazing. We started at Casteliane where there is a nice Aire in the village and a good climb up to a Church on top of a huge rock looking over the aire and town. The Aire was about eight Euro per night I think and right on the river,

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Verdon ... 8&t=h&z=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We then had a great day on the banks of the lake near Saint-André-les-Alpes and stayed at a free car park aire and had good night when we camped next to an Australian couple in a panel van and had a few to many beers :oops:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Verdon ... 293.1,,0,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a Municipal campsite down the road in these trees,

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Verdon ... 8&t=h&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From there we headed west to the big lake and to the amazing Moustiers-Sainte-Marie. There is a good Aire and the village is a must see especially early evening :wink: This is the aire, https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Verdon ... 8&t=h&z=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Google maps doesnt do it much justice so here is a short video from that part of the trip, hope it helps :ok

http://campervanculture.com/2012/08/cam ... is-no-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…-part-2/

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Good links there Jed, i found that castellane one a week or so ago. Will most likely end up there
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

lloydy wrote:Good links there Jed, i found that castellane one a week or so ago. Will most likely end up there

You wont regret it Lloyd, the whole area is stunning.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Ottojsy

Post by Ottojsy »

Cheers Jed

We were originally inspired by your video when trying to decided where to head to.

Time to get the maps out now and start planning a route.

Mike

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Ottojsy wrote:Cheers Jed

We were originally inspired by your video when trying to decided where to head to.

Time to get the maps out now and start planning a route.

Mike

Glad I inspired you and your family Mike :ok

If you are going anywhere near the Alps on the way up or down we quite liked a place called Vars. There is a free aire with clean toilets and a good base for walking. We got the cable car up the mountain and walked back down but you can take your mountain bike and zoom down too :shock:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=vars+f ... k&t=h&z=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then if you travel the east side you will find some of the best aires in France, most of the ones we went to were like a camp site really with free hot showers etc.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

AarenAce
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by AarenAce »

Get yourself a Keycamp (or similar) brochure, they will give you a good feel for what the areas/campsites have to offer...

Have gone to France for years with Keycamp (hence why I'm naming them, but I'd suspect their isn't a huge difference between those type of operators)...

if it's your first trip, think carefully about your journey/distance, e.g.

a) car/ferry versus plane and hire a car
b) region of France - are you sun worshippers or willing to take a bit of a chance with good but perhaps not always as sunny west coast...
c) are you beach lovers or would you prefer an inland resort
d) relaxing holidays versus close to say Paris for day trips in there...
e) Just a tip - if a brochure says 'lively site' it's probably more geared for teenagers than those of your ages...

No right answers, just things for you to consider...

Best of luck with it - I think it's a great family holiday and yes, the campsites are great for the kids.

You probably could do it a little cheaper, organising the various elements seperately, but given it's your first trip, I'd suggest a Keycamp or similar, just so that it runs smoothly for your first year, thereafter you may decide to organise yourself...

enjoy....