A few days away in deepest, darkest Wales

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

A few days away in deepest, darkest Wales

Post by fairwynds »

Just had a great few days away in the camper. Was heading up from the south coast to visit my daughter in Stoke, and detoured for a few days into North Wales. Due to awful M6 traffic, I arrived at Lake Vyrnwy in the dark, but due to some recent posts here (thanks Ian iirc) knew there would be places to wild camp. My plan was to test out some new kit in the van. Winter tyres/propex/on board water tank/water boiling stove. Have been getting the van ready for some long distance European and beyond (?) travels...
I awoke the following morning to this great spot :ok

...a spot of breakfast before a cycle ride around the lake (it's about 10 miles, and yes, there are many spots to wild camp on the way around). It was lovely and quiet, being off season.

Leaving just after lunch, I decided to venture along some very minor roads! Without owning a Syncro, I didn't venture too far off the beaten track!

As we climbed higher, on the road up towards Bala, we went up into the clouds/fog. There were some steep drops off to the side, I guess something I will have to get used to if my forthcoming trips to the mountain areas of Europe come to fruition!

Spent the next day in Snowdonia, at a favourite spot near Tryfan :D Met some great people who were braving the elements under canvas. I did feel a little guilty as the night drew in and I flicked the switch on the Propex!

Next day, drove back on the A5, followed a burgundy A reg T25 Westy hitop for a while (with one of Steve's Gasure stickers in the rear window), but whoever it was either had a great engine and/or knew the roads....they were fair bombing along!
All in all, a great few days, and apart from a niggly, small coolant leak from a recent new water pump fitting, all was well with the old girl :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: A few days away in deepest, darkest Wales

Post by ghost123uk »

Looks great :ok

We know that area quite well, it's only 30(ish) miles from us and go around there often, though mostly in the summer :wink: I just wish I could get Gill to come out more when the weather is less than ideal :?

Even though I put the handbrake on and park it in reverse gear, I always hate leaving the van on steep roads to take pics (like your 4th one). If you look down some of those ravines near Bala and Corwen you can see the rusty remains of some cars that have gone over the edge :shock:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

ghost123uk wrote:Looks great :ok

If you look down some of those ravines near Bala and Corwen you can see the rusty remains of some cars that have gone over the edge :shock:

... I think, in retrospect, I was glad it was foggy! :shock:
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Looked awesome :ok

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

andypandy1930
80-90 Mem No: 3589

Post by andypandy1930 »

That looks great mate wish I was out camping in mine

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Looks good :ok I was working in Rhosneigr yesterday, the weather was fantastic.
David
the future is unwritten

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Looks brilliant....thanks for sharing :ok
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

Very nice! Some great photos. :ok
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Brill, that spot near the lake looks great :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

sfjbrad
80-90 Mem No: 8704

Post by sfjbrad »

Looks proper lovely :D
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography - Ambrose Bierce

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

Post by kathyshack »

looks great. cant wait to get out and about proper again. any more details on your sleepy spots around there? love it over that way ;-)
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

kathyshack wrote:looks great. cant wait to get out and about proper again. any more details on your sleepy spots around there? love it over that way ;-)

Lake Vrnwy can be approached from the south east end (where the dam is) or the north west end.
My approach was via the A458 from the direction of Welshpool, then onto the B4395 and B4393 to the dam end. When I left, that was to the north west, on towards Bala.
The road around the lake is about 10 miles in circumference and there are lots of places to pull over into. That said, it is winter, I only saw one other car the following morning, and heard none overnight. Bet it's different when the sun's out! Owned by Severn Trent Water (the lake supplies, amongst others, Liverpool) there were no restrictions about 'overnighting' visible, but as always, treat with respect.
http://www.stwater.co.uk/leisure-and-le ... ab/findus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:ok
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

Post by kathyshack »

fairwynds wrote:
kathyshack wrote:looks great. cant wait to get out and about proper again. any more details on your sleepy spots around there? love it over that way ;-)

Lake Vrnwy can be approached from the south east end (where the dam is) or the north west end.
My approach was via the A458 from the direction of Welshpool, then onto the B4395 and B4393 to the dam end. When I left, that was to the north west, on towards Bala.
The road around the lake is about 10 miles in circumference and there are lots of places to pull over into. That said, it is winter, I only saw one other car the following morning, and heard none overnight. Bet it's different when the sun's out! Owned by Severn Trent Water (the lake supplies, amongst others, Liverpool) there were no restrictions about 'overnighting' visible, but as always, treat with respect.
http://www.stwater.co.uk/leisure-and-le ... ab/findus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:ok

cheers, i've made a note of it ;-)
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Can't get my head round the name of that lake - there is no 'V' in the Welsh language. The 'v' sound is written using by the letter 'F'.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

richnat1988
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by richnat1988 »

hi, its my favourite place, i think where you went up in the clouds may have been the highest mountain pass if its the balla road if memory serves me, if you go over the dam keeping the lake on your right and turn right at the end and then follow the road for a mile or so and take a left on to some tracks( wood cutters tracks, you can get a birds eye view of vrnwy and plenty of wood for a fire for the night,we did it in a couple of cars and got stuck in some mud but it was well worth it.