Campsites and "petrol generator etiquette"...

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ed_crouch
80-90 Mem No: 0

Campsites and "petrol generator etiquette"...

Post by ed_crouch »

Hi all.

Pondering battery charging for an 8day stay at Eweleaze farm down Dorset in August. Going with some friends, so there'll be maybe 4 vans between us all.

No leccy hookup down there. I could and might install 200W of solar panels on the top of the poptop, which would keep the battery topped up nicely in August. 300+ notes.

Orrrr, I could buy a 1.5kw genny for £125!

Ok, the solar option is more Eco, but the genny has a lot going for it too.

Would I be considered a scumbag glamper from hell and generally disliked if I fired up a 65dB genny for maybe a couple of hours during each day?

I'm an affable sort of chap, but have never used a generator before and don't know if they come with social leprosy / pariah status attached?

What's the opinion? Generator or solar?

Ta.

Ed.
P.s. whilst this might be applicable in the tech section, I'm really interested in whether or not people will complain, hence I posted it in here. :-)
1982 Autohomes Kamper, 2.0 CU, Automatic.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: Campsites and "petrol generator etiquette"...

Post by jamesc76 »

As long as during the day shouldn't be a problem tho take the time to piont the exhaust away from pointing at other campers will cut the noise they hear down!
Can you really only last 24hrs on battery before needed to charge um up tho??? might be every other day?
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Those cheap petrol generators make a right racket. If you go with a quiet Honda or the like it will cost you as much, if not more than solar panels. The thing is if you fit Solar, although it might be more expensive it will be stress free and you can use it again and again in places that are not so acceptable. I would think (and this is only my opinion) that if you start up a generator everyone else who has paid to stay and want a nice holiday will hate you and you will be on edge the whole time. I am not being funny but if I was a paying customer on a campsite and I had to listen to a generator I would be straight over to ask you to turn it off. People in tents might beat me to it though as they have to lay on the ground and have canvas al around them.
I have been wild camping in places that other Motor homes And Campervans use and they think because everyone isnt paying they can be as rude as they like and and a couple have started up generators, I have asked them to turn them off and after some ranting and raving from them two minutes later they felt they had to because everyone else applauded me.

I say go solar plus you don't have to carry or buy extra fuel, I went with a Sterling charger and extra batteries but thats a whole different topic :lol:

Hope this helps.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

Ask your self would you camp next to some road works?

Because thats what is like camping next to someone with a generator - go solar
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Sorry but both Gill and I hate generators of any sort on a camp site. I just couldn't use one on a camp site close to others. My sense of guilt just wouldn't allow it. We have more than once, broken camp and moved to the other side of the field just to get away from it. And anyone using one after dark should be immediately shot :twisted: (not literally ;))
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Would quite a number of campsite owners ask you to turn a generator off anyway? As I am sure most don't allow them

Torches for when the battery is dead. Everything else is not needed

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

If you took a normal battery charger, you could take the leisure battery out (or take a spare one) and ask the campsite owner if you could charge it up during the day, for a small consideration :)

Hey, that's a good idea isn't it (?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

harvey
80-90 Mem No: 11967

Post by harvey »

chriscburgess wrote:Ask your self would you camp next to some road works?

Because thats what is like camping next to someone with a generator - go solar

+1
Freya 1.6TD California

ed_crouch
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ed_crouch »

Thankyou for your thoughts, folks. I hear you loud and clear! The above posts are exactly why I asked - im not selfish and I like to get on with people :-)

I shall go solar, I'd like 200w on the roof and I plan to fit a 180ah battery. Might have to start smaller tho...

Ta.

Ed.
1982 Autohomes Kamper, 2.0 CU, Automatic.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

ed_crouch wrote:I shall go solar, I'd like 200w on the roof and I plan to fit a 180ah battery.

Definitely the best plan. We've camped at Eweleaze and a generator would make you stand out like a sore thumb there.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

centro
80-90 Mem No: 7575

Post by centro »

ed_crouch wrote:Hi all.

Pondering battery charging for an 8day stay at Eweleaze farm down Dorset in August. Going with some friends, so there'll be maybe 4 vans between us all.

No leccy hookup down there. I could and might install 200W of solar panels on the top of the poptop, which would keep the battery topped up nicely in August. 300+ notes.

Orrrr, I could buy a 1.5kw genny for £125!

Ok, the solar option is more Eco, but the genny has a lot going for it too.

Would I be considered a scumbag glamper from hell and generally disliked if I fired up a 65dB genny for maybe a couple of hours during each day?

I'm an affable sort of chap, but have never used a generator before and don't know if they come with social leprosy / pariah status attached?

What's the opinion? Generator or solar?

Ta.

Ed.
P.s. whilst this might be applicable in the tech section, I'm really interested in whether or not people will complain, hence I posted it in here. :-)

There is no etiquette in using a generator. Dont do it – it will pi$$ people off. Eawleaze is a basic site, so adapt to it.
http://www.typetwentyfive.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Type 25 Tintop, 1988 Petrol 2.1i

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I find solar a waste of time unless it is a very clear day with the sun high in the sky, then it works fine.

So, I still reckon this is a good idea =

ghost123uk wrote:If you took a normal battery charger, you could take the leisure battery out (or take a spare one) and ask the campsite owner if you could charge it up during the day, for a small consideration :)

Hey, that's a good idea isn't it (?)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

ghost123uk wrote:I find solar a waste of time unless it is a very clear day with the sun high in the sky,

Then you'd be wrong John. Even here in dappled shade our's totally charged both batteries up and had switched off before we woke up.

The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

ghost123uk wrote:I find solar a waste of time unless it is a very clear day with the sun high in the sky, then it works fine.

Wrong John me old mucker , Mine was working this week , half covered in 2 inch of snow ( could only reach that far and didn't fancy going up on t'roof :shock: )
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

ronsrecord
80-90 Mem No: 7441

Post by ronsrecord »

Any chance we could get some pics of your solar panels? Are they permanently mounted or not? And what size?

(sorry for all the questions - always fancied a solar panel on the van.)
Making hay while the sun shines!

2.1MV Club Joker, 1988, LPG/ petrol