Germany trip - advice needed

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Germany trip - advice needed

Post by Ralf85 »

I am planning to travel to Bamberg in my 1985 westie in April/May. I have been on line to check to see if there are any special motoring rules I need to worry about but couldn't find anything special that applies. Am I missing something? Cheers.
:?:

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Germany trip - advice needed

Post by Ian Hulley »

For GOD'S sake keep your eyes on your mirror if you have any ambitions to overtake anything !! The 2 lane autobahn are NOT the easiest place with cars doing ridiculous speeds down the fast lane and trucks crawling on the inside lane.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Ralf85 wrote:I am planning to travel to Bamberg in my 1985 westie in April/May. I have been on line to check to see if there are any special motoring rules I need to worry about but couldn't find anything special that applies. Am I missing something? Cheers.
:?:

You will be fine, its only Germany.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

Ian Hulley wrote:For GOD'S sake keep your eyes on your mirror if you have any ambitions to overtake anything !! The 2 lane autobahn are NOT the easiest place with cars doing ridiculous speeds down the fast lane and trucks crawling on the inside lane.

Cheers for the warning Ian. I will take extra care. With my DF engine I think I will probably spend most of my time crawling along in the inside lane I reckon as I do in France. Still with a LHD van I have more confidence overtaking in europe than I did with my old RHD van.
:)

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

I drove down to Munster last year. Really enjoyed it. Fantastic roads. If you're going via France don't forget you now have to carry a breathalyser kit in your car.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

72BUG wrote:I drove down to Munster last year. Really enjoyed it. Fantastic roads. If you're going via France don't forget you now have to carry a breathalyser kit in your car.

Good news. Cheers, but don't start the breathalyser discussion again though. Check on the forum. Evidently this madness has now been suspended for the forseeable future.
:ok

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Ralf85 wrote:
72BUG wrote:I drove down to Munster last year. Really enjoyed it. Fantastic roads. If you're going via France don't forget you now have to carry a breathalyser kit in your car.

Good news. Cheers, but don't start the breathalyser discussion again though. Check on the forum. Evidently this madness has now been suspended for the forseeable future.

Ah so common sense does sometimes prevail?

To be honest I never bothered. As far as I'm concerned the best plan is always to get the hell out of France as quickly as possible.

The roads in Germany are an absolute dream as far as eating up the miles goes, like most things German they just work, but there is not a great deal of scenery if you stick to the autobahns. Or at least not the ones I went on. The towns and cities are beautiful though, and extremely clean and well kept.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

SYNCRO
80-90 Mem No: 4034

Post by SYNCRO »

When I was stationed in Germany it was a requirement you carried a first aid kit and warning triangle...

The latest from the AA says it all :wink:

http://shop.theaa.com/content/driving-in-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

SYNCRO wrote: in Germany it was a requirement you carried a first aid kit and warning triangle

You're right with that ... having both anyway I forgot to mention those. :ok
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

Cheers everybody for all the useful advice. Now that I have checked the mileage for the trip I am changing plans. It would be a round trip of over 1000 miles. As my insurance policy only covers me for 5000 miles a year I cannot really use up 20% on one short trip. I have now decided to fly there instead. Shame really but that's life.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Triangle, spare bulb kit, first aid kit and hi-viz vests are all mandatory.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Disconnect your speedo....5 minute job.....rely on your SatNav for the speed...much more accurate anyway.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

dearjohn
80-90 Mem No: 5038

Post by dearjohn »

Would have to echo everything said above. Great country to drive and camp in. We found the people very friendly, campsites very well run and relaxed. The white wines are great value, if you buy from the farmers yard, the wine producing regions all have guides to each little vinyard in the tourist offices. If you like old half timbered buildings etc, then just keep to the minor roads! nigel in ireland

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Ralf85 wrote:Cheers everybody for all the useful advice. Now that I have checked the mileage for the trip I am changing plans. It would be a round trip of over 1000 miles. As my insurance policy only covers me for 5000 miles a year I cannot really use up 20% on one short trip. I have now decided to fly there instead. Shame really but that's life.

Priorities all wrong there :shock: imho of course :wink:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Be aware of 'restricted Green zones' in certain major city centres. Similar to London (Green enviromental zones) require a badge.

http://www.german-way.com/driving-envir ... zones.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin
1989 California 2.1MV