Any tips for the Pyrenees?

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Any tips for the Pyrenees?

Post by lloydy »

Just had my holiday confirmed for aug 2013, and we are heading out to this area. I've heard a few of you have been to the area, anyone have any tips on where to go? I've heard there are some tracks out that way, any one have any info? Wild camping, nice campsites, places to visit. Any info appreciated :D
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Re: Any tips for the Pyrenees?

Post by rollercoaster »

Spent some good times uphill from Massat around 25 years ago, there were then some whole valleys of abandoned farms due to the lack of vehicular access. As the roads were built, (where they could be) and people began to walk less, or did not expect to lug things for literally miles by hand across inhospitable terrain, delightful places became uninhabited.
Been thinking of returning there next year myself to see how it is now. I dont remember rough lanes just footpaths. Particularly enjoyed the instantly changeable weather around there and the characters that did live up there where few people were inclined to.
Good choice for an adventure, to see it at its best be prepared to go off road, and by that I mean for long walks!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

syncropete
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1621

Post by syncropete »

Camping xixerella in andorra is a good starting point for some great tracks (old smuggling routes) into spain. Fantastic place with plenty to do. Also directly above Andorra la vella are some great pistes to the top of the mountain, one with a split screen used as target practice.

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Might be worth taking to the lads in the Syncroclub in France as its their backyard. I seem to remember talk of a French event being organised at syncropendence as the French have been to events in both Ireland and the UK so it's probably about time we visited them !
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Thanks, I'll have a little google search of those places. Need to do a fair bit of research actually, no idea what's in the area

VanDiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0
Location: Was in Hautes-Pyrenees {France} now in south lincs.

Post by VanDiesel »

If you get the chance visit the Hautes-Pyrénées...........we lived there for 3 years & it's a stunningly pretty unspoilt region of France.
The Tour de France regulary runs through this area for its famous mountain passes & valleys. I'll try to locate my old maps so I can provide some wild camping spots & places to visit.
Here's a few pics to view, we loved wild camping at altitude during the hot summer months when temps went above 35 degrees to enjoy a cool nights sleep :D

Enjoy :ok

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

That looks fantastic!
Any help with camping spots would be great too :D

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Try this as a place to stop over. Camping La Griole in Targassonne. So good, so cheap. Great place to base yourselves. Close to the border and Andorra.

Web site: http://www.lagriole.com/index.php/en/acces.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

JennyTyger
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by JennyTyger »

Lloyd - we went to the Pyrenees in August 2008 with Pete and Sharon, and Jake & Ollie went in June 2012.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=39240

I have all the overlays of the routes we took from Val d'Aran to Andorra. Like Sharon says in the thread above there are plenty of sleepy spots if you follow the mountain tracks (we just had to drive down each night to a camp site). I think the tracks would be perfectly safe to drive on your own - they are 3m wide and quite smooth - we did them all in 2WD mode. The most challenging thing was the climbing. In 5 days or so of driving on these tracks in August, we met only one other car!

I have Memory Map overlays of all the routes we drove and can probably give you the name of the campsites we used.
Jenny
Member: 379

every decoding is another encoding

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Yes please Jenny, that would be great! Would like to disappear in the wilds for a few days. The wife would like to know if any of the tracks are on cliff edges (she's scared of heights :lol: )

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

JennyTyger wrote:Lloyd - we went to the Pyrenees in August 2008 with Pete and Sharon, and Jake & Ollie went in June 2012.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=39240

I have all the overlays of the routes we took from Val d'Aran to Andorra. Like Sharon says in the thread above there are plenty of sleepy spots if you follow the mountain tracks (we just had to drive down each night to a camp site). I think the tracks would be perfectly safe to drive on your own - they are 3m wide and quite smooth - we did them all in 2WD mode. The most challenging thing was the climbing. In 5 days or so of driving on these tracks in August, we met only one other car!

I have Memory Map overlays of all the routes we drove and can probably give you the name of the campsites we used.

Do you still have those guidebooks Jenny or did you send them back - I can't remember!? They were good, might be worth looking at those..

JennyTyger
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by JennyTyger »

I will double-check Jake. I know I intended to return it to you, but can't be sure that I did!

I did do a sneaky scan of it, so have it in PDF format somewhere ...

It might be an idea for the Syncronauts to buy some of the other books in the series so they could be loaned to anyone wanting to do some off-roading in Spain. Some of them are now on CDs. Item for discussion at up-coming AGM?
Jenny
Member: 379

every decoding is another encoding

VanDiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0
Location: Was in Hautes-Pyrenees {France} now in south lincs.

Post by VanDiesel »

Here you go Lloyd,
I’ve dug out our maps, here are our personal top spots to wild camp & visit in the Hautes-Pyrénées.
You will be spoilt for choice seeking out wild camp spots, in our 3 years living there we were only just scratching the surface. Every new route/track led to another find.

I’ve added some links to view.

Lac de Cap de Long {D929} My favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGsUuJe-UdY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Set in the Parc National des Pyrénées at high altitude close to the French/Spanish border. The lake is formed by a dam as part of a hydro-electric scheme, you can camp alongside the lake & explore the surounding national parc. There are some breath taking views of the valley below & lower lake from the dam wall to enjoy.

Circo de Pineta {PR 137} set in the Parque Nacional Ordesa y Monte Perdido: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGqAnR855e4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you take the Tunnel de Bielsa border crossing into Spain continue for 7km’s to the village of Bielsa take the PR 137 Valle de Pineta to the Circo de Pineta. You can wild camp under the shade of the pine forest & explore the parc nacional with glacial lakes set at 3000m altitude if your fit enough.

Pic du Midi de Bigorre 2872m altitude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jzmOdWDpqE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On top of the Pic du Midi is a space observatory site which is open to the public, the Pic du Midi is the highest mountain in the Pyrénées accessed by a cable car giving fantastic views of the Pyrénéane mountain chain. If you take the Col de Tourmalet {D918} over the Pic du Midi you can wild camp either side of the mountain pass at an altitude of 2115m, just some 700m lower than the peak. just a 1hr trek to the observation platform. Remember to chock your wheels when you park up!

Lac de Payolle 1489m altitude: http://www.lacsdespyrenees.com/lac-1267 ... yolle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As you come along the pretty Vallee d’Aure take the D918 up the Col d’Aspin, just short of the peak follow signs to the Lac de Payolle. Adjacent to the lake are some very popular wild camp spots, take your time seeking out the more private camp spots further along the forested mountain sides.

Lac de Génos-Loudenvielle 1000m altitude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVM2g0v4DCs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the D618, you can wild camp here. Another dam formed lake surrounded by mountains. It has an adventure parc for the kids, a thermal spa plus an outdoor pool. A great place to watch paragliding........the landing strip is alongside the lake.

Cirque de Garvarnie {D921} http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZyOAG3ChE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We only ever visited here but never camped, I’m sure if you look around you will find a spot. A world heritage site. It’s a 1hr plus hike to the Cirque de Garvarnie. Once there you find a semi circle of 17 mountains of 3000m plus altitude with a 423m waterfall.

Lloyd, where ever you end up going invest in some detailed maps........there worth their weight in gold.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

That is great! Thanks for taking the time to put that together, appreciated. I'm sure we will defiantly be visiting some of those. The wife particularly like the descent on the first video :lol: