French Exploration!

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Thorgills
80-90 Mem No: 11096

French Exploration!

Post by Thorgills »

The Boy has advised me he's started learning French for our trip to France next summer - it turns out I need to be careful what I say in front of him when talking wistfully about where The Van may take us!

So assuming we're going, was wondering if anybody else had any plans to pop across the channel next August that might fancy a trip in convoy - safety in numbers n all that when leaving good ole blighty for the first time in a veedub!!

Just a thought!!
Owned by a 1983 Viking 2.0 Air-cooled and The Boy!

brandonabbie
80-90 Mem No: 12054

Re: French Exploration!

Post by brandonabbie »

wer off then again last 2weeks go every year perpignan long way but worth it :ok !

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

We will be travelling down to a campsite for the night near Dover on Saturday 27 July. We'll have a meal and a couple of beers and then an early night. We will be going over to France on Sunday 28 July for three weeks as usual using DFDS ferries Dover to Dunkirk/Calais. Then we will travel towards Rouen and around the ringroad and head South using N roads until we stop for the night to camp somewhere South West of Paris. The next day and a half we will be mostly using motorway to arrive at our usual campsite near Najac, a total journey over there of about 650 miles. A long way to go but we love it down there and have done for the past decade or so.

If you want to join up with us on 27 July at the Dover campsite or 28 July at the Dover Ferry and travel some of the way with us you are very welcome. Whatever happens you should enjoy the experience. Cheers.
:ok

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

Hey stranger - we are thinking of France next summer, visiting battlefields. It will be at the start of 6 weeks holiday for 3-4 weeks I guess. No firm plans yet but will let you know :ok
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

Madwitch
80-90 Mem No: 4329

Post by Madwitch »

Well we may well see you there Helen! (Getting to be a habit this). In the planning stages just yet but is one option.
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

LittleMissSunshine

That would be mint! Do share travel plans - hubby will no doubt have a colour coded spreadsheet again :lol:

Thorgills
80-90 Mem No: 11096

Post by Thorgills »

Thx guys! Little Miss Rainfall, we'll only be planning a week but good to meet up - if we don't fall out at over a game of top trumps between now and then obviously!!

Ralf, will keep an eye on those dates - may be just a tad early for the boys holiday but will be booking ferry soon once sorted with his mummy!!

Laterz!
Owned by a 1983 Viking 2.0 Air-cooled and The Boy!

LittleMissSunshine

Sounds good :ok

Madwitch
80-90 Mem No: 4329

Post by Madwitch »

At the moment not sure whether we are doing the battlefields, doing the Santander or going to Birchtesgarten (sp) but will swap spreadsheets with you once decided! Be lovely to meet up again.
Carolyn

The Witch is in!

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Madwitch wrote:At the moment not sure whether we are doing the battlefields, doing the Santander or going to Birchtesgarten (sp)* but will swap spreadsheets with you once decided! Be lovely to meet up again.

*Berchtesgaden :roll: :wink:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

We are going back down to the Eastern end of the Loire Valley near Trogues via Rouen, LeMans & Tours. Ferry 00:30 31st July kipping when/where I feel tired over the other side, pitch 19 at the Chateau de le Rolandiere for 8 nights. Then who knows :mrgreen:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

sportsterrider
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by sportsterrider »

We went to France awile ago and we went down to see the Normandy Beaches and it took us nine hours (we wasnt in a camper by the way) on the other side to get to Vierville.Turns out it was a public holiday and the tailbacks at the tolls was miles at each one.Wont do that again so check it isnt a holiday.It took less than half that to get back to Calias.There must be better roads to use than the toll roads but as we hadnt been that way before we thought they would be quickest...The weather was horrible too which didnt help as it rianed very heavily non stop from getting off the ferry to arriving at Omaha beach campsite....
As it was a holiday everything shut early and we couldnt find a shop open to buy any decent food after noon on saturday..So dates and routes is first and foremost what we will plan next time...

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

Following on from my message above, like Mr Hulley we will be travelling via Rouen then we go on to Evreux, Dreux etc like one or two members who travel further South. My favourite way of starting the summer 'pilgrimage' to our favourite place in France before we hit the main motorway. So convoy options are increasing for you by the week!

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

So Patrick, you still havn't learned to avoid Rouen like the plague. :) I got back from France last Sunday after 3 weeks in the Limousin. I wasn't actually camping because for the most part I was staying at the newly aquired Chateau Bowt. On the way out I crossed the Seine using the Pont de Tancarville & on the return journey I crossed at Les Andelys. There is a nice campsite near to the bridge at Les Andelys but it's only open mid March to mid November so it was no use to me this time. I'll be back over there in late March/early April but I have to be back in time to MOT the van & hopefully go to the Bus Types show.
Last edited by Bowton Lad on 06 Dec 2012, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

Bowton Lad wrote:So Patrick, you still havn't learned to avoid Rouen like the plague. :) I got back from France last Sunday after 3 weeks in the Limousin. I wasn't actually camping because fror the most part I was staying at the newly aquired Chateau Bowt. On the way out I crossed the Seine using the Pont de Tancarville & on the return journey I crossed at Les Andelys. There is a nice campsite near to the bridge at Les Andelys but it's only open mid March to mid November so it was no use to me this time. I'll be back over there in late March/early April but I have to be back in time to MOT the van & hopefully go to the Bus Types show.

Cheers for that mate. I don't actually go into Rouen but go round it. Still, I might try your suggestions on my next journey South for a change.
Patrick
Last edited by Ralf85 on 03 Dec 2012, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.