another headlight conversion for 1985 T25

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

elsid
80-90 Mem No: 4623

another headlight conversion for 1985 T25

Post by elsid »

I decided to upgrade my headlights which although I had fitted Ring R012 60/55w Halogen bulbs were still pretty dismal, so bypassing the switchgear with relays was the next step. I wanted to retain the four individual fuses for each bulb. Since there were two vacant spaces next to the load reduction "X" relay on the relay rail this seemed the obvious place to fit the relays, one for dip beam and one for main beam. Since the trigger circuit for the relays would be influenced by the "X" relay I could take the live 12v feed directly from the main 12v line. I daisy chained a red wire from term 30 on the "X" relay to term 30 on the other two relays.
Dip Beam Relay.
The black/yellow wire was removed from the live side of fuse 4, extended, and taken to term 85 on the relay.
A black/yellow wire was then fitted between term 87 on the relay to the live side of fuse 4
Main Beam Relay
The white wire was removed from the live side of fuse 6, extended, and taken to term 85 on the relay. A white wire was then fitted between term 87 on the relay and the live side of fuse 6.
A brown wire was daisy chained between term 86 on the relays and an earth crown.
Cost of conversion:- 2 Ripca 2032 40/30A relays @ £1.80 each. £3.60. Crimp on terminals £1. TOTAL £4.60. I purchased the components online fro ECS electricalcarservices.com
The wire I used was taken from a a piece of trailer wire I had left over from fitting my towbar.
While I had the fusebox out I fitted a separate fuse for the heater fan. There was a spare fuseholder on the end of the relay rail so I removed the black/red wire from the oputput of fuse 10 and fitted it to the output side of the spare fuse. I then fitted a wire from the live side of fuse 10 to the live side of the spare fuse.
I took the van out for a spin in dreadfull weather last night and the lights showed a marked improvement, well worth the effort and £4.60
Sid

Sid from Bridgwater, Somerset, member No. 4623
1985 Autosleeper VHT 1.9 auto. (later called Trident) converted to run on LPG