Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Re: Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

Post by dickspanner »

Well just as an update to the cosworth Engine problem.

Engine is half stripped then due to working away mechanic has not been able to do any further work on it. However, I decided to get it round to his workshop so he could work on it there rather than mine. Engine delivered this morning to him. So things should start progressing and the post will be updated a little more often.

Overall goal is to get engine sorted, back in van and take it to a couple of shows hoping to sell it.

Lets see whats wrong with it first.

Keep you posted guys.

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well with working away all the time nothing has been done on the crewcab.

As I am thinking of selling it this summer I think I am going to break all the extras off it and sell them on their own.

Extensive list of T25 parts which will go on ebay me thinks as this will reduce the amount of money I will be wanting for the crewcab.
And it will finance engine rebuild.

Fibreglass topbox, DK gearbox, chrome bumpers, DOKA mirrors (electric), electric windows, Load of stuff from engine bay, Twin headlamps and grill, steering wheel off VW, Full gas conversion for the V6 Cosworth engine.

Just need to get to my lock up to photograph it all then get it on ebay.

Going to call in at Mechanics this weekend and Gee him up.

Dickspanner.
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Ok, not posted on crewcab for a while as not even been to my lock up where it is sat engineless.

Engine still with Mechanic, not really been pushing him hard to finish it, however working near home this week and next so going to get on his case.

Want her to be rebuilt so at least I can use it again when I want to put a big grin on my face.

Just wanted to post an update to those who had followed the build etc and wondered what was happening with it.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

:ok
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Finally, just been to mechanics and he has stripped engine.

Bad news is that there is no visable failure present. the bores still have all the hones visable, the piston and rings are in as new condition. The valves look like they are brand newalthough there is no carbon presnt on the top of the chamber.

So what I have instructed is that both heads are to be sent to be pressure checked and skimmed if necessary, rehone the bores and rebuild to the point where a chamber pressure test can be done.

All I need at present is a head gasket set. Fingers crossed the head is warped and just needs a skim, I will let you know the outcome of the test etc.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Even more puzzled now.

No pressure loss under 12hr pressure test on head.

Bores to be tested now.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Went to the lock up today for the first time in months.

Sadly the crewcab is still sat engineless. The 67 full blown racing mini cooper is still under dust sheets with no interior.

such nice toys and no time to work on them.

I am moving to France and will have to make the decision to sell everything. Sad times but they are toys I can no longer afford to keep stored.The Cosworth engine is still on engine stand at my mechanics, no work has been carried out on it. Mate was convincing me to stick an oil burner in it to sell it for big money as it is a mint crewcab, it would be a shame to undo all the conversion work but it has to go before christmas I think.

So the thread may come alive as hoping to get a job near home in September instead of 300 miles away from home.

I went past a 1.9DG for sale the other day for a grand, I was thinking of buying it just for engine and stuff, breaking it, scrapping shell so I could sell the crewcab. Who knows watch this space.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

faggie

Post by faggie »

hi dickspanner still never been down to your unit if you decide to break bus i may have a buyer for the engine let me know if you decide to go this route

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Faggie,

Being honest I have not touched crewcab for a long time.

Mrs Spanner is now asking about my toys and what I am going to do with them before we move to France. I am concentrating on the 67 Mini cooper at the moment to get rid of that once I have sorted out that toy then I will return to working on the Crewcab. I believe the mechanic has done some work on the cosworth engine so will try and touch base with him this weekend and find out where he is at etc.

If I do go down the route of putting a oil burner back in the crewcab then yes the full set up will be for sale but I will want big money for it. Basically if I take it out, there would be everything you need to bolt it in including the spare DK box, the spare cosworth engine and a full LPG kit for it. All you would have to do is strengthen up the mounting points, bolt it all in place, install fuel tank and fuel pump and connect 4 wires up to the harness and off you go.

When the decision comes I will post the whole set up for sale in the for sale section if I decide to remove it from the crewcab.

Will be back again on the forum soon when I have sold the Mini cooper.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

rich broom
80-90 Mem No: 10870

Post by rich broom »

i have an engine here if you want one for spares. from granada cosworth ultima.
was a runner when removed
Vcds vag com diagnostics available
Snap on diagnostic available

faggie

Post by faggie »

hi richard my friend only deals in mini coopers and is local to you he may be intrested or know someone who will take it of you if its still for sale

rich broom
80-90 Mem No: 10870

Post by rich broom »

still here.. got a couple of lsd rear diffs aswell.
Vcds vag com diagnostics available
Snap on diagnostic available

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Called at Mechanics and he has done some work on it but not as much as I would of liked. Basically each part is being inspected as he reassembled the engine. When he was looking at the timing chain cover he found a couple of hairline cracks in it so he sent it off to be welded. He now has it back but welding was very poor so he is grinding it down before he puts it back together.

I got lost in the last couple of posts.

Yes the mini is for sale and if you wanna chat about it etc the PM me.

If I do take the engine out of the crewcab then everything comes out so it can be lifted to the underside of your bus, bolted up, bolt CV joints on, plumb it in, wire it up and off you go. I would say the whole thing could be done in a weekend if you were good at spanners.

Will call and see mechanic again this weekend see if he has managed to gring it and get it back on etc.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Blimey it is a long time since I have been on here but here goes.

As some know I am going to emigrate early next year.

The crewcab has sat in dry storage since the no 6 oil wash which took out the cat and exhaust. I took the engine out and round to the mechanics to find out what the problem was. He stripped it, checked the heads out, skimmed them again while he had it apart (think I just got felt my machine shop but while its out it is little cost) and is in the process of rebuilding it. Since I have worked away from home for the past few years I have not really hammered him for the engine back but over the past few weeks regular phone calls have increased the work on the engine.

He said it is nearly done hoping to have it built by this weekend. I am not holding my breathe though. I am off in a couple of weeks for 5 weeks but I would like to get the engine back before I go away.

Pictures will follow if it turns up and the work needed to refit it. Sadly I have to build a new exhaust system, but this time it will be a little louder than last time and both pipes will exit at the rear of the crewcab rather than side blowers. Not sure how all this will pan out as the crewcab is still up on a ramp under covers etc where it has sat for past few years.

Got to get it up and running to get it to Tatton to sell, so a bargain may be had if you bring the right money on the day.

I have racks of stuff with it and may throw it all in with the deal like a fibreglass backbox, spare engine, spare DK box, twin lights, chrome bumpers etc etc the list goes on but more info will come out nearer the time.

However the last word is the engine is on the way back.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Good morning or should I say Bonjour,

Well I spent most of last year packing sorting and moving to France. With this now complete and things settled down I have returned to UK to sort out my legacy toys and the crewcab was on the list.

The engine has has a full strip and rebuild. There was a oil wash in pot 6 and a head skim and all valves reground has sorted it out, but we took the thing apart and checked everything like pistons, rings, big ends, small ends, cams etc. Anyhow engine fully rebuild and she is all back together.

My mechanic is taking her to be MOT'd this morning, a full wash, photograph session and she goes on ebay. I will post the photos on here later so you can see her in full glory again.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner