France in 3 weeks!! TIPS PLEASE :D

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cal
80-90 Mem No: 9926

Re: France in 3 weeks!! TIPS PLEASE :D

Post by cal »

Thanks for all the advise guys!! Really helpfull! .... I have just checked up about the breathalyzers and it's NOT a legal requirement for foreign travellers untill 1st of November http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ju ... alyser-law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so i'll be saving a fiver there to spend on more cheese!! :D lol :ok
"Nature and wisdom never are at strife." (Plutarch)

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

If you buy your breathalisers from a Tabac you won't have to pay more than 2 euros for them.

Places?
From experience: The Vendee (west coast),
Britanny - Carnac.
Paris - there is a campsite near the city centre http://www.campingparis.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From stories:
South west - Bourdeaux area, large sand dune, pyrennes.
South Coast

Alternatives: Cut through Switzerland, Belgium or pop into Germany too
Saw a few pics from someone on here going to Strasbourg - looked amazing.

Did you include up to date Michelin Map or Sat nav updates for Aire du Camping Cars (see downloads in Club stuff at top of page)?
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

cal

Post by cal »

Okay thank you.

I have put together a few possible routes ... Mainly looking for hot weather, outstanding views and plenty to see. Here's what I have put together for a 6 day trip ... any one have any thoughts on these?

ROUTE 1:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Av.+ ... 20&t=m&z=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROUTE 2

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Av.+ ... 20&t=m&z=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROUTE 3

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Av.+ ... ,7&t=m&z=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROUTE 4: All around coast

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Av.+ ... ,9&t=m&z=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any do's / don'ts/ things to avoid?

Cheers! Cal :ok

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

The routes are all interesting but I'm not sure that you comprehend the distances involved. You will be driving constantly with no time for a days rest. I would allow 14 days for a trip to the south west, then a trip through the Pyrenees & then the journey north. I wouldn't like to cram all that driving into only 6 days.

On route one, I would keep well away from Paris. From the top end of the A20 (toll free) I would take the following route:- Vierzon - Orleans - Chartres - Dreux - Evreux - Le Havre.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

cal

Post by cal »

Thanks for that! Yeah I've been debating the amount of driving involved but I do enjoy the driving and the scenery on the way. I am thinking if we set off at 8am we can stop at around 2pm and enjoy the rest of the day or adjust to have an hour or so here and there .... Tell me if i'm being stupid though!? ... This is another route i've been playing around with to try fit in views, coast, hot weather and that village of the masacure: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Av.+ ... 18&t=m&z=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts on that or am I just being unrealistic? :S

I'd also like to see the eiffle tower if possible ... If it's worth seeing that is?

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oorwullie »

bowton lad could well be right, if you've never done this sort of trip you can't really appreciate the immenseness of france and the possibilities of wandering into all sorts of time consuming obscure adventurous landscapes.

and if ye get into the frenchness of things, starting driving at 8 am will seem ludicrous. maybe towards 12 midday and then stop again after maximum 2 hours........

i'd personally abandon all serious schedules and just take it as it comes. depending on what you like in the way of seasides, the west north of bordeaux is varied while the entire coast south all the way to spain is just one big sandy beach. i love it in the off season but it can be monotonous if you or the missus need a bit of variety on yer coastal walks. also it'll be almost definately a cold wind blowing.

inland could and should be more "summery". as has been mentioned already, most campsites will be closed but there are plenty nice spots where camping up for a night or a few would be no problem provided ye don't like the main roads.

south east of bordeaux the dordogne river has several great places for instance.

if ye get as far as the med you might well find (as i do)that most of the coastline is completely fecked by developments and concrete but there are a few nice spots and some campsites open till the beginning of october or even into november but they will be mostly full of german pensioners in their monster motorhomes heading for spain and morocco for the winter. they're generally harmless and rarely venture out of the aircon and sat telly comforts they seem to favour.

avoid switzerland at all costs, the fuel is cheaper than france but it's getting really cool in the evenings here these days.

might seeya if yer around the toulon area( i'm not saying exactly where) the first week in october.

watch out for a green bay westie. :ok
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

trust me....in 6 days you wont do anything other than drive....

i have just got back from a two week trip ...we sailed to santander and just drove half of your route back....we definately needed another week.

its do-able of course....but as to how much fun it is ???

if i had 6 days i would head for the Loire and enjoy it.

enjoy whatever you decide
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

If we have fixed points to be at we allow an extra day & night between them (with the Aires book and France Passion books firmly in hand), that way if you see somewhere nice or you particularly like the last place you still have a bit of flexibility. Often we'll book a couple of campsites and leave a 4 or 5 day gap between them, for next year we've booked the first place we're staying and nothing else yet.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

i think i mistakenly reckoned you were doing a 3 week trip.............. :oops:

to do your your suggested journey in 6 days is nothing short of madness.

cal

Post by cal »

Okay thanks guys ... from what I can gather I am trying to do a bit too much in a too smaller time period .. I will have a look at the route now and post a new proposal up to see what you all think lol :idea

cal

Post by cal »

Does anyone know what the rules are with fishing in France?

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Fishing in France... apart from day tickets at clubs, all fishing in France is regulated.

In the appropriate season, you can get a card from the local mairie of the place you are staying at.

Ask at the campsite, and they usually have the form.

If you've really only got 6 days, then allow 2 days to get to the Limousin from Northern France.

Set up there, and do day trips to touristy bits.

Cordialement,

:ok

cal

Post by cal »

Okay thanks for the advice, it's bee really helpful!! ... Okay, this is what I have planned so far:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Le+ ... =2&t=m&z=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My logic is:

SUN: We arrive in Le Harve at 8am on the Sunday morning. I will leave here and travel to a friends house in saint avit (arriving about 3pm) and spend the afternoon and night around there somewhere.

MON: We will leave around 10am and travel down to the pyranees (May go the coastal way towards Biarritz) arriving at approx 3-4pm, where we will spend the remainder of the evening by the lake.

TUES: We will stay around the Pyranees area again if we like it ... if not we have a day spare to spend somewhere we do like.

WED: We will set off around 8 or 9am towards Oradour-Sur-Glane but stop somewhere nice / with something to do half way due to the distance (marked D on the map - if anyone knows of anywhere worth going to / staying in this area, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!), arriving here at approx 1pm.

THURS: We will again set off at approx 8 / 9 am to go to Oradour-Sur_Glane, arriving at around 11:00 / 12:00 where we will do touristy stuff maybe look at other things, maybe move on somewhere else.

FRI: We will set off for Paris in the morning and visit the Eiffle tower and anything else Paris has to offer.

SAT: We will head back to Le Harve finding something to do along the way, if not in Paris.

I know it may sound a bit military style haha and I know we probably won't even stick to it but i'd like to get a rough idea of where i'm going so that if we don't happen to find anything we still know where we are going and so that I have a rough idea of where I need to get to each day in order to make it home lol.

What do you guys think of that? ... Any suggestions of places to go to ... how much road charges may be along that route ... places I should actually avoid ... campsites close to our destinations that you can recommend?

Thanks so much guys! I have literally marked up that route from using google strret view to see where looks nice lol so if there are places you can recommend just off that route please let me know so I can take a look!? :ok

Thanks again,

Cal & Al

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

i still think ye must be raving starkers to talk about going to the pyranneeesians on a 6 day trip from the UK.

and don't get me started on that oradure sur crap scene, been nearby a million times and neither the missus or me has any desire to go take a look.

takes all sorts i s'pose. enjoy yerselves.

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

Wullie lad, I agree that driving to the Pyrenees & back in only six days is too much as it's all driving & no relaxation. Regarding Oradour-sur-Glane, I think that everbody should visit the old village at least once. I went there in 1997 & I may possibly go back one more time if I happen to be on that side of Limoges.

Cal, on the return leg of your trip when you are driving north on the A20 can I suggest a small detour? When you are heading to Cajarc, go via Villefranche-de-Rouergue which is a lovely small town on the River Aveyron. The old centre is a bastide (fortified village) and well worth a visit.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY