Renewing gear selector fork bushes - advice requested!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Re: Renewing gear selector fork bushes - advice requested!

Post by xpress »

hey nod, what way did you turn it? did you do it without jacking up the van?
Das AutoWagen.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

correct procedure (4 speed) is to loosen the clamp bolt then have person in cab pull gearstick over to the gate where 1st and 2nd are then pop a piece of wood 20-23mm thick in between the guide for 3rd and 4th and the nylon tipped fork and then have person in cab hold it against the wood then check that the ball on the gearbox is fully out (it should be as spring in box pushes it out) and then lock off the pinch bolt, remove the block and check the gears
Also it is sometimes necessary to rotate the gearstick mounting plate to get the perfect shift once you have done the pinch bolt job
5 speed I can't remember the exact thickness of material - it's slightly different but the procedure is in the bentley manual, and it does work

norsenoddy
80-90 Mem No: 11731

Post by norsenoddy »

afraid I didn't do any of that with the wood or having any one to help just undid clamp and twisted the gear shaft anti clock wise just the amount of one spline . didn't put it on the ramps just dragged my self under the van :D

xpress

Post by xpress »

noddy, did you twist it by hand?

this is strange but i have started omitting first gear and pulling off on second. after a while with this a few decent runs, and holding the clutch pedal down when in the car and not going into neutral at the lights, the gears have completely righted themselves. maybe they didn't like going into neutral all the time at lights, i will just have to develop a stronger left leg!
Das AutoWagen.

xpress

Post by xpress »

Just a quick question to those who know, is it possible when you loosen the clamp bolt, regarding the shaft, can you turn it one spline with your hand, or an oil strap wrench tightened up on it? Thanks.
Das AutoWagen.

Pootle
80-90 Mem No: 11213

Post by Pootle »

xpress wrote:Just a quick question to those who know, is it possible when you loosen the clamp bolt, regarding the shaft, can you turn it one spline with your hand, or an oil strap wrench tightened up on it? Thanks.
You will need a wrench on the shafts on each side of the clamp bolt. Don't think an oil strap wrench will grip tight enough.
Pootle
1989 1.9DG wasserboxer

xpress

Post by xpress »

Pootle wrote: 4. Looking towards the rear of the van, twist the front selector shaft anti-clockwise by ONE spline.

hi pootle, thanks for the assistance, so i loosen the clamp bolt, do you know if it's a socket or wrench and what size? if i am lying on my back with my head towards the front of the van, lifting my head up, able to see the light under the rear, two mole grips, right hand on the front selector shaft and left hand on the thicker rear shaft, then i have to move the front shaft anticlockwise (right hand up) one click?

also, do you hear a *click?* and how much force did you have to give, does loosening the clamp bolt make it easier to turn the shaft or is it there really to hold them in place?
Das AutoWagen.

Pootle

Post by Pootle »

xpress wrote:do you know if it's a socket or wrench and what size?

I used a socket with a spanner on the other side to stop the bolt turning. Can't remember the size, probably 13mm.

xpress wrote:if i am lying on my back with my head towards the front of the van, lifting my head up, able to see the light under the rear, two mole grips, right hand on the front selector shaft and left hand on the thicker rear shaft, then i have to move the front shaft anticlockwise (right hand up) one click?

Yes.

xpress wrote:also, do you hear a *click?*

Depends how worn the splines on your shaft are. I felt a definite *clunk* as it moved one spline.

xpress wrote:how much force did you have to give

A firm twist but not so much I was sweating and shouting. But your shafts may be tighter.

xpress wrote:does loosening the clamp bolt make it easier to turn the shaft or is it there really to hold them in place?

It clamps the shafts together. You will not be able to turn the shaft without loosening it. I opened it and slid it out of the way.
Pootle
1989 1.9DG wasserboxer

xpress

Post by xpress »

thanks for your replies pootle. did you have a go at adjusting underneath the gaiter with the adjustment screws? i think that it might be a red herring because even with that adjusted, you still may have to adjust the splines to get that extra bit of travel for the back gearbox?
Das AutoWagen.

Pootle

Post by Pootle »

xpress wrote:thanks for your replies pootle. did you have a go at adjusting underneath the gaiter with the adjustment screws?

No.
Pootle
1989 1.9DG wasserboxer

norsenoddy
80-90 Mem No: 11731

Post by norsenoddy »

xpress wrote:Just a quick question to those who know, is it possible when you loosen the clamp bolt, regarding the shaft, can you turn it one spline with your hand, or an oil strap wrench tightened up on it? Thanks.
I used a 2 pair of mole grips

xpress

Post by xpress »

you know what's holding me back? i don't see any marks on the shafts from mole grips in the past and i quite fancy trying to do it with the shim method. unless it's a big faff feel free to try and talk me out of it! :D
Das AutoWagen.

82camper
80-90 Mem No: 11567

Post by 82camper »

O.k.sry to drag this thread out but its been my main source and I could do with some help..
Ive bought new selector fork tips for a 4 speed from brickwerks and a sh shift linkage housing from wagonbuild... Attempting to stop first gear from popping out.
Am I right in thinking that 82 cu Aircooled 4 speed has no Ali guides?? Mine didnt and I assumed it had fallen off ! I now think it was never there but strangly after installing sh housing still shifted fine apart from 1st gear issue, so im now confused my thoughts are...
Is it necessary to change fork tips on both sides as Haynes shows no tip on left side of selector fork and if there is no Ali guide there anyway surely it just glides up and down side of housing as mine has been currently doing for some time rather smoothly ,on the right side(1 2 plain) my existing stop plate was worn at the back could this together with worn tip create my problem with1st?? And if so could I just remove Ali guide from second hand box I bought and replace selector fork tip on that side ? Im thinking of doing this then following correct method for gear linkage adjustment from Haynes ...any help and advice will be much appreciated as this problem is starting to really drive me nuts!!
1982 1970cc cu Aircooled leisuredrive hightop single webber at present

infoleather
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by infoleather »

The spline this way, it will not damage the front, you can shaft which is recognized as a way to adjust?
Most of the Mens brown leather business bags have particular rooms for laptops and just like cwmalls.com Designer Women Leather Shoulder Bags have some smaller compartments for cell phones, MP3 players and some other digital devices.

xpress

Post by xpress »

if i can understand you correctly, i personally am not going to adjust via the splines, if you don't mark them up correctly they can be a pig to readjust if you want to re bush the gear linkage. the sloppy or hard gear changes indicate worn bushes and the like. so i am going to get a kit and replace these.

read this thread

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=52684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which has the brick yard thread, (which makes sense, i might add). :ok
Das AutoWagen.