query --flywheel/spigot bearing

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jaylo264
80-90 Mem No: 4769

query --flywheel/spigot bearing

Post by jaylo264 »

Hi all, has anyone else ever found their brand new spigot bearing for the centre of the flywheel on a T25 1.9 DG petrol 4-speed manual to be c 2 mm too big to go in the hole ? Yes, I do believe ( Aidan doesn't really believe me ) :rofl that I have got all the old knacked bearing shell out first; I have a pic but can't recall how to upload it on here.

all I can see under the van is what seems to me to be flywheel metal with a stop-ledge about 10 mm into the hole; there is another stop of some sort another 10 mm or so deeper in the hole, then a bit deeper it just ends. Can see much more on the pics.

regards to all,

jaylo
1986 Autohomes Kamper 1.9 Petrol DG

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: query --flywheel/spigot bearing

Post by R0B »

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Mi ... g_pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Post by icosahedron »

Inside the flywheel hole there sit a felt seal and a metal ring holding it in place. It is there to prevent grease from reaching the clutch. I can only believe that you managed to destroy this ring and got it out. You HAVE to take the flywheel off in order to get the spigot bearing out.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

you DO have to remove the flywheel to remove the spigot bearing, armed with a 15-17mm internal bearing puller on a slide hammer it takes only a minute to remove the old one or the remains of the old one
in the pictures I have seen I can see the remains of the shell of a bearing, there are two rows of needle bearings in one and in the picture I can see the two rows minus the needle bearings

apologies - in a diesel you can pull the bearing without removing the flywheel, in a wbx you do have to - it's been 6 years since I did mine I'd forgotten, but I've done several diesels recently so got mixed up - see photo story next post
Last edited by Aidan on 18 Aug 2012, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Post by icosahedron »

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Ok I'd forgotten the differences between petrol and diesel, it's 6 years since I put a new one in mine, at the same time as doing the flywheel oil seal so of course the flywheel has to come off

So faced with flywheel

you need to undo the 5 bolts holding it on - it helps to have an impact gun, but failing that a 2 foot bar and another long bar or a flywheel locking tool to hold the flywheel whilst you undo them 10mm Hex

leaves you with

then armed with your puller for slide hammer

fit into bearing and tighten then fit slide hammer

and start to pull it

till it comes out :ok

leaving an empty space in the flywheel with a stop behind

this shows the diesel spigot bearing on the left and petrol on right, the flat face with the writing on faces the gearbox the curved end faces the engine when fitted

as you can see the receiving hole in the crank is 21mm

as is the bearing shell outer diameter

and the inner dimension is 15mm ish - to match the spigot end of the input shaft which will be just under 15mm (like 14.97mm)

and the felt washer on the petrol engine fits in the recess on the back of the flywheel and the sealing o ring sits in the groove, just visible in the picture

replace the o ring, the washer and the spigot bearing and reassemble - flywheel bolts need to be tight but VW tightening spec is scary tight as previously noted - 60Nm (44ftlb) plus an added 90degrees - you probably won't get them that tight so use a very little threadlock

lube the new bearing with high temp grease :ok

jaylo264

Post by jaylo264 »

Thanks guys, and v helpful pics, ta aidan.

It'll take me another month to take the flywheel off............

jaylo

jaylo264

Post by jaylo264 »

Having taken off the flywheel, got the second bearing out ( the one nearest the clutch, which has a felt greasetrap on it, was knacked and got it out before taking the flywheel off ) and easily tapped a new one from BW in, this had no felt bit in it ; ordered another, came today, has a felt bit in it, same code, same price, different bearing. But I figger to pop this into the hole in the flywheel, what do you think?

jaylo

BravoTilly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BravoTilly »

I am fitting a recon VEGE DG engine, which comes complete with all gaskets, seals etc. However, there does not seem to be anywhere for the felt seal for the spigot to sit. The photos in this thread show it sitting in a recess in the flywheel, but mine has no recess. The felt seal supplied seems too big for the hole in the flywheel. There was what looked like the remains of a spigot bearing in the flywheel hole. Any ideas/advice gratefully received?

Harveyboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Harveyboy »

Dear Diary
Well thanks to Aidan and all the dedicated helpers I've managed to get the info and brilliant pics to source all the equipment and parts I needed to replace my spigot (clutch needle bearing). What a bxxxxy nightmare! 12noon till 6 in the morning next day! Anyway must have saved myself trillions of pounds. I wouldn't advise this for the impatient or fool hardy! Much cursing and damaged ensued! This effort was all in aid of solving my internal engine noise! Frustration turned into steam coming out of my ears when I realised the demon noise hadn't gone away! In the process of doing this work myself I managed to cut my diesel fuel return pipe, bend electrical connections, stretch clutch hydraulic pipes to braking point, bend my gear change axle, partially snap my clutch release bearing clip and completely mess up my gear changes. :? Arrrrgh! Still look on the bright side I could have paid trillions of pounds for someone else to go through the same pain. Now finally a question! Question No 1. Any suggestions what's causing my engine vibration? Question. No2. How can I get my reverse gear back in order. I have no reverse gear, pressing down and into reverse for 1st gear and down pull towards me into second. Crazy!

Thanks to who ever gets this!
Robert