Ajitvagon

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Ajitvagon

Post by Plasticman »

Well this rolled up recently. have a look at this roof join
theres more but I wont bore, suffice to say it was secured by a half dozen self tappers inside,
when I first viewed the van i stood on the front bumper and i could stick my hand up the inside of the roof and just about reach the bedding!!
now if that wasnt supprising enough this van was taken by the owner to a so called body shop and they quoted for repairs to the van but ompletely overlooked this , indeed the van had to go back a second time whilst anothe rbody bod tried to put a price on doing it and he also didnt spot this, so much for hi volume trade painters .
anyhow i arranged for a reputable ( at least i thought so) person from the forum to do the job, price agreed all was well till he said no thanks( after doing the avoid the phone/pc any and everytype of communicationfrom the owner) so they found a guy to do it whist i was on my hols and it looks to be a decent job.
bliddy saga already.
anyhow the van is on the face of it not tooooo bad but we shall very soon see what lurks underneath, certianly it will need some new panals and metal adding but, hey ho
front panal is ****
fridge side and lower sill ****
rear arches
and may as well throw the fronts in for good measure
no doubt some nice juicy bits still to find. will shell it after the weekend and we will see
mm
Last edited by Plasticman on 04 Aug 2012, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: Ajitvagon

Post by weldore »

the popcorn is ordered :)
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Thought you'd gone into retirement Mlke, it had been so long since we had seen one of your epic tales :ok

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Ditto^^

Looking forward to this project as you always document everything really well with photos etc :ok
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ah well dont forget that not all I do makes these hallowed pages, I do have a life. :lol:
mm

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

metalmick8y wrote:Ah well dont forget that not all I do makes these hallowed pages, I do have a life. :lol:
mm
you lucky devil :)
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

LittleMissSunshine
80-90 Mem No: 10589

Post by LittleMissSunshine »

This thread is getting me excited - I definately need help! Looking forward to following this one :)
1988 transporter caravelle Komet. 1.9 petrol.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Ok, so I am going to be really mad if you finish yet another van in the time its taken me to do ONE! :lol:
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well stripped it out today and wrapped the roof as i dont want to fill it with blasting grit as its a sure thing it would be blown out on the last topcoat....
start with the usual fridge panal, its a little scabby but truth is it really doesnt matter if its a bit rough or very rough, the repair is pretty much the same either way
the dreaded underseal with large drain hole
this shows the inside, on the face of it not that bad but ive yet to see one like this that isnt shot
i have removed it this way purely to show it better
turn it over and you have this
and this shows the top of the sill and hence the lower half of the seam, rust is thorough, but will soon be removed, i have made up a few sections when i did the last one so the parts will be almost from stock :rofl
this is the rear arch and rear lower panal off and ready for full removal and de-spotting
the window surrounds are mostly reasonable but the fridge (o/s middle) is more than suspect
will detail remove all this , the other side is aleady off, only area remaining is the lower front panal , but again I think I shall make that panal myself , steps need a bit of work and will do likewise and rebuild/replicate
mm :ok

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I can understand your frustration at the forum recommended folks, your not the only one.
Any how I've bookmarked this and will be looking forward to the story.

As a bye the way.... my van (kevtherevagon) still looks the dogs doo dahs... not a jot of rust has peeped back, in this wet weather we've had there's something good in that.
the white window inserts are being put back later this year.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

DustyBiscuit
80-90 Mem No: 10603

Post by DustyBiscuit »

Ahhh!!! That's my bus! :o) Ange just text me to say she'd found the thread. I can't tell you how excited I am that you're doing Chesney up for us. He's a rusty old dog but we love him to bits! Shame we didn't get to meet the other weekend
Mike, but hopefully we will do soon! Cheers!

Katy :o)
Chesney - 1987 Holdsworth Villa 3 1.9 DG wasserboxer

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ah indeed katy, nice of you to put your passport picky up, shows your better side :rofl
never thought to let you folks know i started it :lol:
mm

DustyBiscuit
80-90 Mem No: 10603

Post by DustyBiscuit »

Hey Kev,

I've been glued to your kevtherevagon thread today (in between shifts and when no ones looking :o) lol!) I'd seen your beautiful bus in the garage but I didn't realise it was Mike's handiwork. I knew Chesney was in safe hands, but now I'm even more excited seeing what he's done with your Carol!!! To say I cam't bloody wait to see what the old'
boy looks like when he rolls out the garage is a hooooge understatement, but as the say, it's not just the destination, it's the journey, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress he makes and finding out a bit more of the history of the van :o)

Katy
Chesney - 1987 Holdsworth Villa 3 1.9 DG wasserboxer

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

you should be working not skiving on here.
Well got a few delieveries coming , goodies to me anyhow, these first
the best out there in my reckoning
now to the grinder,,, cut the sill off, it had been patched up before
and the offending sill itself, the tacks/spots call them what you will are visible
the most part of the inner sill is ok so i will cut the remains of the lip off and make a new one
Here we have Gullwing, now were the correct country and the right idea but
i did nothing else than give it a yank :shock: knowing the standard of the repro fronts I will "refurbish" this, ive got the tooling to remake the swage and its just going to be an easier better solution, same goes for the B post following
the area behind is as expected so no supprises there
one of my worries is as ever ,the type of paint used before and the prep or lack of it, this has a smell when diswturbed of dulux maybe, horrible stuff and these picks are a good demonstration of why you really should remove items and not mask up to them
this is the A post
it gets all the weather and it wouldnt be long before this gets under the edge and starts creeping along, also the trims were held on well bliddy bonded on with that old favorite, bath sealant or worse. didnt half take some getting of without destroying them.
this is around the washer jet , sad thing is a new genuine vw jet only costs about £6
these seals are coming off anyhow but thats a good excuse to fit new ones
oh nearly forgot the front panal , this sadly will have to come appart
the rear end is in fine shape :lol:
so tomoz the crappy job of removing all the detail remnants and prepping the rear wings and such.
i nipped to my mates and made another 4 lower middle(fridge) panals as he has a 1.5 mtr roller,the next 3 vansd will need them so it will save time later. there isnt much curve in them but just a touch..
mm

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

DustyBiscuit wrote:Ahhh!!! That's my bus! :o) Ange just text me to say she'd found the thread. I can't tell you how excited I am that you're doing Chesney up for us.
Katy :o)

Yep you can can sit back and relax while Mike works his magic :ok
Can't begin to tell you how chuffed I am with mine (Trukkvagon).

My neighbours think I'm mental because sometimes I go outside and just stare at it. :oops:
Paul
Quit ad modum panis tosti