Help! Petrol all over the forecourt!!

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Pudsey1975
80-90 Mem No: 10637

Help! Petrol all over the forecourt!!

Post by Pudsey1975 »

I think I overfilled the tank, fuel poured onto the forecourt (well about a half a pint did). I normally fill a tank until it goes click. Feel really think as i am now sitting in the petrol station waiting for hubby to check it out. Is this normal or does something need replacing? Have read about breather pipes but do they leak petrol when overfilled?

Thanks, any advice would be appeciated!
Life isn't about always waiting for the sun, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

cascais
80-90 Mem No: 8088

Re: Help! Petrol all over the forecourt!!

Post by cascais »

theres loads about this on this site,im no expert but looks like the top of your tank could be getting a bit rusty,there are seals that perish over time.mine does the same,ive had a spillage on a forecourt,thing is it was in portugal and the temp was pretty high.so i got a bit nervous,esp when the locals sometimes dont take the no smoking rule to seriously.i now fill tank to 3/4.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Could be a number of issues - tank rotted through, worn seals, split pipes, rotten fuel filler neck....
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

1664 wrote:Could be a number of issues - tank rotted through, worn seals, split pipes, rotten fuel filler neck....

Or she missed the hole
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

armyphil wrote:
1664 wrote:Could be a number of issues - tank rotted through, worn seals, split pipes, rotten fuel filler neck....

Or she missed the hole

"Living on the edge" the latest epsidoe of Phil's life..... :rofl
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Pudsey1975

Post by Pudsey1975 »

armyphil wrote:

Or she missed the hole

Cheeky!!!!
Life isn't about always waiting for the sun, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

armyphil wrote:

Or she missed the hole

*sniggers*
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Pudsey1975 wrote:Have read about breather pipes but do they leak petrol when overfilled?

Definitely!

Ours did exactly the same as yours - peed a bit when filled to the click, then stopped. I replaced the pipes from the tank breathers to the expansion tanks in the wheelarches - less than a metre of fuel pipe needed, cut it to length yourself - and it's stopped it completely.

It may be a rotten tank, of course, or leaky grommets or any of a few other things that need the tank dropping. But for the sake of a quid or two and an hour, it's worth replacing those first. The rear ones are MUCH easier if you put a drop of washing-up liquid on the pipe before you try to fit it. Get your arm in as far as it'll go, and you'll feel where it needs to fit.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pudsey1975

Post by Pudsey1975 »

AdrianC wrote:
Pudsey1975 wrote:Have read about breather pipes but do they leak petrol when overfilled?

Definitely!

Ours did exactly the same as yours - peed a bit when filled to the click, then stopped. I replaced the pipes from the tank breathers to the expansion tanks in the wheelarches - less than a metre of fuel pipe needed, cut it to length yourself - and it's stopped it completely.

It may be a rotten tank, of course, or leaky grommets or any of a few other things that need the tank dropping. But for the sake of a quid or two and an hour, it's worth replacing those first. The rear ones are MUCH easier if you put a drop of washing-up liquid on the pipe before you try to fit it. Get your arm in as far as it'll go, and you'll feel where it needs to fit.

Thank you

Nick T
80-90 Mem No: 11054

Post by Nick T »

AdrianC wrote:

Definitely!

Just had this myself tonight. Filled it to the brim for the first time, it leaked out about half a litre then stopped. Will have a good look through the Haynes to see which pipes go where and see if that's the culprit before I grit my teeth and order a new tank :(

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Post by Fin »

If you go to a friendly main dealer - they can print you off the parts diagrams for this....

also look here
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... r_Problems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here found the tank diagrams on wiki...
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... ther_tanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here's when I did mine - took the tank out - but you don't have to....
Last edited by Fin on 29 Jun 2012, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

Nick T wrote:Just had this myself tonight. Filled it to the brim for the first time, it leaked out about half a litre then stopped. Will have a good look through the Haynes to see which pipes go where and see if that's the culprit before I grit my teeth and order a new tank

it's doable, if you have large hands push until it hurts and you can just feel the rear spigot (when you have managed to remove the stuck like glue old ones, lots of wiggeling) i put olive oil on the spigot and drizzle in the pipe also had the pipe sat in boiling water, sounds like a recipe :lol: sorted my old lady's unforunate dribblings

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Fin wrote:here's when I did mine - took the tank out - but you don't have to....

That's a useful photo, thanks for posting that. How easy / difficult is it to remove the tank, is there only two bolts to undo?

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Vaniller
80-90 Mem No: 12106

Post by Vaniller »

Nicola&Tony wrote:
Fin wrote:here's when I did mine - took the tank out - but you don't have to....

That's a useful photo, thanks for posting that. How easy / difficult is it to remove the tank, is there only two bolts to undo?

Tony
Dropping the tank is easy. Two bolts to release the brackets, then pull off all the breathers and fuel filler pipe. Helps if you put the front of the van up on axle stands if you want to crawl under. Take the fuel feed and return line off, but one at a time so you can catch the fuel to drain the fuel out! And there is a wire on the fuel sender too that needs to come off.MOST IMPORTANT THING IS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. I found it helpful to lower the tank on a trolley jack...
1991 Transporter, 1.9D engine swap, Viking poptop.

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpTDt2Z8MIQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BUT!!!

note comment - 5th down - :)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-