Powder coat or paint- what do you reckon?

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

italianjob
80-90 Mem No: 6561

Powder coat or paint- what do you reckon?

Post by italianjob »

Morning all

rained off in the garden, so back to my lovely T25.

Just wanted to gauge some opinion about the best treatment for steel wheels - powder coat them or spray them, to colour them off white :?: I'm going to get them sand blasted and primed first, but the final treatment is yet to be decided.

I had 'issues' last year when I fitted a set of powder coated steel wheels to my van and the front passenger side wheel worked itself loose after a 600 mile round trip to sunny cornwall. Yep, mostly my fault for not checking the tightness of my nuts, but doubts have now crept in about powder coating. I know it is potentially more durable, but this whole issue of wheels falling off because the wheel bolts were not making contact metal on metal has kinda spooked me a bit. I now have a torque wrench!

any thoughts :?:
italianjob
85 Holdsworth Villa 3, in orange, petrol

Get the wheels in line. Get the wheels in line!

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Re: Powder coat or paint- what do you reckon?

Post by pionte »

I had my Alloys painted... I took the idea from Kevtherev on this Forum, he advised that with paint you can Tcut light scuffs etc out.

I wouldnt of thought that powder coating would cause an issue with wheel nuts coming loose... correctly torqued up the friction on the threads alone should be more than enough to stop the wheels coming loose !

A torque wrench is a good idea, but to be honest a long braker bar and a big tug on the end is usually more than the suggested torque setting... well it is when im hanging on the end of the bar ! remember to tighten the nuts in a diagonal pattern :ok
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Paint, as KevtheRev has.
2 Pack paint is good for the job.
When the paint is hard seal it with Autoglym EGP and then wax them - job's a good un.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

had mine galvanised - worked a treat.... :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288