which oil pump CS or AEF ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

which oil pump CS or AEF ?

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

In the throes of changing from a cs to AEF.

Just getting as many bits together before I take the plunge.

Whilst the lump is out I intend to replace the cam belt/tensioner - Water pump - aux drive belt and oil pump.

Understand I need to transfer the oil pick up pipe -but as for the pump itself,,,,

Local motor factors quoted £129- to supply one for skoda felecia but looking at suppliers for vw the pump is about £45 for all diesel models ?

Wil a new cs oil pump and pick up pipe be ok for the AEF engine ?

Thanks

Matt

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: which oil pump CS or AEF ?

Post by syncroandy »

CS/JX pickup pipe on the AEF pump should be good. Check the AEF pump for wear with feeler gauge, re-use if OK. Spec are:

Backlash between gears: New 0.05mm, wear limit 0.20mm
End clearance: Wear limit 0.15mm
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks Andy,

I will check the wear on the aef pump.

Do you know if the "fits all models" pump for £45 (brickwerks) will be ok in the AEF engine ?

Regards

Matt

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Should think so, if it's not clear from the web-shop just contact 'em. Personally I've found pumps are often well within the wear limit and have re-used 'em knowing I should get another 100k or more.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

What bits have you got Matt ?
There might be something you need and didnt know about it
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks Weldore

By time I am ready to swap I will have...

Cam belt N tensioner / water pump - new belt for alternator - all the bits off the cs (Flywheel/new clutch kit - ) sump and pick up pipe. (poss oil pump too)

I am keeping the AEF alternator pulley and belt system - Cant think what else I will need at the moment ?

Any pointers welcome - have read as much as I can here and on Brickwerks site - still a bit unclear about the cold start gubbins around the pump.- it has the lucas pump with vac advance - 3 min delay on the glow plugs and high idle sensor - some say take it all off and use just the 4 wires needed - if poss would like to keep active what I can of the cold start equipment, but will see how it goes.

Neil (Pelniters) has been very kind and helpful with advice....

Bought a skoda manual today for those "little details" that might be specific to the AEF engine...

Anything you think I have missed ?

Thanks again

Mat

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

You need,and this is an important one...the spigot bearing for the end of the crank
I don't know what type of sump splash / windage tray the aef has but I took it out on mine and just used a new standard sump gasket

Any questions just ask,there's a few who know more about the aef pump on here :ok
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

ooh yes - the spigot bearing - thanks !

Sump gasket and inlet exhaust gaskets too

Thanks - gives me confidence to know if I get stuck theres a big group of friends I have yet to meet willing to share experience and help out

Much appreciated

Matt

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

Fit a new oil pump from Brickworks with the pickup fitted well worth the 45 quid as you will not wan't to do it later.
1y Tin top rust collector.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

matt brighton wrote: still a bit unclear about the cold start gubbins around the pump.- it has the lucas pump with vac advance - 3 min delay on the glow plugs and high idle sensor - some say take it all off and use just the 4 wires needed - if poss would like to keep active what I can of the cold start equipment, but will see how it goes.

If you keep all the cold start gubbins active, you will need to use the complete control unit from the Skoda. That will involve keeping all the engine wiring Skoda style, including immobiliser if it has one. One other implication is that you will need the plastic hose flanges from the Skoda with their temperature senders, cos these have two pin connectors not chassis earth returns as per T3, as does one of the oil pressure switches. You will need to wire and plumb in the solenoid for the vacuum high idle, and keep the vacuum actuator for the high idle, which will foul the engine hatch, so you'll need to cut and shut a hole in the hatch. The egr valve works from this control unit too, and you won't have any egr (unless you keep the AEF manifolds, which will foul every part of the engine bay)I went through the same thought process myself, then threw it all in the bin. It's much simpler without, but the disadvantage is you'll get a bit more emissions from a cold engine.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.