Engine swap from diesel to petrol

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gaz7
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine swap from diesel to petrol

Post by Gaz7 »

Hi all , I've just joined the forum ,
I've got a ex german army multi van. 1989 T25 : ( caravelle with 8 seats ) . Vg condition all round , I'm just finishing painting in its original dark green ( looking nice ) , I will post some pics soon ....anyway need some advice on engine swap , came with a 1.9d (was originally 1.7d) , which I found very slow , acceleration and top speed .
Main prob is as I live in the London LEZ , can't use the diesel engine anymore ,
While reading your topics , a 2L gti petrol seems to be the option ,
One thing I can't see is , does the fuel tank have to be changed as well ,
Rather than change final drive ratio , I'll prob put bigger wheels on , ( hopefully all off a doner car ) .
Or maybe post 2004 1.9 tdi to comply with LEZ, but it may be complex proving engine complies !,

Any advice appreciated ,

Cheers. Garry

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: Engine swap from diesel to petrol

Post by ELVIS »

either a 2.1 tank and pump or easier/cheaper/less heartache is to use a Mk2 goof pump as it has a built in swirl pot

Gaz7

Post by Gaz7 »

Cheers for reply , i was thinking about getting a mk 2 or 3 golf for all parts ,
Has anyone else had to change engine because of the emision laws in London now ,
Might even do a LPG conversion on it later ! .
I seen that you can get around 30 mpg from gti engine with a light foot !!! Not too bad .

Cheers

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

try 35 if you drive miss daisy!

Think hutch gets mid/late 40s equivilent on lpg on a 2e :ok

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Can someone explain for me why, when putting an injected petrol (or Diesel) in, you need to change the fuel tank. Is it just to cater for the fuel return line from the Swirl pot / Diesel pump ?

Thanks in advance :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Gaz7

Post by Gaz7 »

So there's nothing wrong with diesel tank for petrol as long as it's flushed , just looking around now for a cheap good golf or passat for parts :)

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

My transplanter said the the petrol tank has a larger diameter output feed than the diesel.
He also fitted the petrol filler neck with the golfball so I cannot accidentally fill it with diesel.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Gaz7

Post by Gaz7 »

Just noticed ghost recovering from hip op , coincidence me too . Going in for other leg next month , and I'm still trying to finish bodywork , not easy getting up and down, ! :ok

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

You will need to fit a 2.1 tank. Larger diameter outlet than diesel and 1.9. fitted a 2.1 dj in what was a diesel. Would idle o.k but when you came to drive would just die. Evemtually traced fault and fitted a shiny new tank from brickwerks for a 2.1 Problem solved.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Not doubting this as it is outside my sphere of practical experience (i.e. I ain't done it !) but it seems odd that the outlet diameter of the feed pipe should be an issue. I do not know what size the smaller outlet pipe is but it must be pretty small to not be able to supply enough fuel to a 1.8i, even at full throttle. I wonder, is it perhaps summat to do with the fact that injected engines have the fuel return pipe from the swirl pot as well, and so the outlet pipe needs to take that into account.

Just trying to understand it, I hate "not knowing stuff" :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

2.0 ltr petrol. think it more to do with having petrol pump running with fuel pressure running at around 3 bar. diesel has no in line pump nor does the 1.9 petrol.

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

Gaz7 wrote: I've got a ex german army multi van. 1989 T25

i thought the tfl classed them as a large car so not subject to lez?
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

Gaz7 wrote: Or maybe post 2004 1.9 tdi to comply with LEZ, but it may be complex proving engine complies !,

proving it is not the problem, you need to transplant all the emission stuff with the engine which is all the bits that dont normally get swapped over
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

Gaz7

Post by Gaz7 »

Cheers all for the info ,

On the tfl site if I put in reg number, comes back as none compliant if I put it in manually says it's ok ,
It's a army minibus with less than 9 seats which is ok , but if I put it in as van it's non compliant again,
Changed to uk v5 few years ago but doesnt say van or minibus , just transporter, which prob covers every model

Will call tfl and find out ,might have to change v5 ,
I would to like to keep engine . Nothing wrong with it !, apart from not fast enough , might check pump timing ,

Also has anyone else looked into water/methanol vapour injection on diesel ( cheaper that retro fitting a turbo on it). Should lower intake air temp and increase mass of the volume sucked in , meant to give a 10% increase in bhp , ?
Been looking at all the kits for around £300 or get all parts for around 100 , might be worth looking into ,

Cheers. Garry

shaka1976

Post by shaka1976 »

My 86 2.1 petrol was converted to Diesel and uses the same tank if it helps.