Flywheel teeth worn.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

redtwoseater

Flywheel teeth worn.

Post by redtwoseater »

Hi, I have a T25 Westfalia 1990 LHD. It did have a 1600TD engine in, now it has a 1.9AAZ TD (which we don't know the age, but we believe it was taken out of a Golf)

The engine was converted November last year by my father in law (the mechanic) and me. We bought it from a New Zealand bloke from Bounce Rentals who has now disappeared back home! I've recently had problems with the flywheel and starter motor. About 10 teeth have worn in one spot on the flywheel and the teeth on the starter motor have worn too. At first it was starting almost straight away and just recently taking a while to kick in.

The flywheel (which had 132 teeth) came with the 1.9TD engine.
At the same time that we converted the engine, we also exchanged the original starter motor (which was broken) for one of the same kind (so effectively it would've been for a for a T25 1600)

My questions are -
Would the T25 starter motor have been compatible with the flywheel on the 1.9 Golf engine?
If not - What combination of flywheel and starter motor would work best ?

I hope you can shed a light on this problem I have.
Many thanks
Paul.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Flywheel teeth worn.

Post by silverbullet »

From my limited experience with VW inline engines, I can't see that you've got a parts incompatability problem. I'd say it's just bad luck that the ring gear was on the way out and the fresh starter motor has finished it off. Maybe the AAZ had done a lot of stop/start short journeys in a former life?

I have a very good used 132 tooth diesel ring gear that I've just removed form a 1Y flywheel, fitted outside dia. approx 282mm if your interested? If you get the flywheel off and over to me, I can swap it over at short notice (you need propane and courage!)

redtwoseater

Post by redtwoseater »

Hi thanks for reply. It was the cheap chinese starter motor worn pinion that caused the problem. Had it repaired with Bosch parts so now I hope it will last. As for the worn flywheel, it came off pretty easy after dropping the gear box.The ring gear came off with ease too, with a couple of hits with a screw driver. I have one on order from Futbus, lightened and balanced. Should be with me end of next week.
It seems problem after problem since putting this 1.9aaz in last November. Its a learning thing too :)
Maybe now I can enjoy some camping this summer.
Cheers Paul.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Glad you're sorted. It's not going anywhere, so if anyone needs a 132T derv ring gear in good nick, I'll hang it on the workshop wall :wink: