ticking noise

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stagg65
80-90 Mem No: 9915

ticking noise

Post by stagg65 »

Heres a weird one for you boffins out there.
Im getting a ticking noise which sounds like its coming from the front of my bus (no not speedo ) it is engine speed related so i know it is mechanical.
My water pump is leaking from the base and there is some play on the pulley wheel , so im going to replace tomorrow.
I know it sound stupid but could the noise be coming from the pump and then travels along the water pipes to the rad which in turn acts like a speaker. :?:
Im running an AEF 1.9 diesel ive seen a pump for sale from a 1Y does anyone know if it will fit.?

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: ticking noise

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

are you planning on replacing the waterpump or the waterpump and housing? AFAIK the 1y pump itself should fit but cross check the part number with vag-cat.

I would be surprised if your ticking is coming from the water pump, but if you're changing it then you'll find out soon enough!

Have you got hydraulic cam followers (tappets)? You'd be amazed how the ticking noise from the engine bay travels to the front. It can also be a gudgeon pin tick, but more likely a cam follower. The JX engine had adjustable rigid cam followers (as far as I know), but the SDI and TDI engines have hydraulic followers. These weren't intended to be at 50 degrees and I reckon that's why it's harder to control the operation of the followers. Checking your oil and oil pressure at the head is vital - is the ticking worse or better when the oil is cold? If it's worse when cold then probably they're a bit bunged up and an engine flush or lifter additive might help - if it's happening more when hot, then they're not keeping pressure and are worn somehow internally probably and need replacing.

Hope replacing the pump goes ok - would be interested to know what you find out about the ticking

Ewen

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

Bought new pump and fitted it today.
fitting the pump was easy enough but getting the the rubber water hoses to stop leaking was a pig, but all is well now .
I think your right about the lifters.
the thing is its not all the time, last time it started doing it i was waiting on a hill (facing upwards) and as i pulled away it started then didn't go away all that afternoon.
I thing my oil may be too thick, do you know the right one for this engine.
1997 1.9 non diesel AEF engine from a vw caddy. cheers.

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

if it started as you were pullling away up a hill I'd question your oil pump pick-up pipe and the baffle in the sump - if it started ticking then I'd say that's oil starvation - not good. I've not kept up with all your posts but what pick-up pipe and sump do you have?

The AEF recommended oil from new is Quantum Platinum 5w-40 fully synthetic I believe, but if you've got a few miles on your engine I'd go for a good 10w-40 synthetic or semi-synthetic.

Ewen

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

You could be right but to be fair to the old girl i think the oil is too thick, so im going to give her an oil change and have the sump off at the same time.
I dont know what make of sump ive got but it is flat on the bottom and has an oil feed pipe with a built in dip stick.
The drain plug is at the front on the side.
When i ran the van up today to test the new water pump the engine was fine :ok

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

when you take the sump off check the pick-up pipe - not the filler tube with the dipstick, but the pick-up pipe to the oil pump - originally yours would have been for a different sump - it needs to be changed to a jx oil pump or at least the pick-up pipe changed. If you take a picture of the pick-up pipe and sump it would be helpful

Ewen

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

Cool will take pics when i do the job :ok