oil pressure gauge, help/advice

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

oil pressure gauge, help/advice

Post by royt28 »

Hi,
i have a vdo sender coming from flea bay, with 2 terminals 1 for warning lamp & 1 to oil pressure gauge.
i have a 1.6td jx 1990year with which i just found out has 2 sensors on the engine, which one should i be putting the new sender on ?
& are there any wires i can tap into & where for the gauge? or best way for new wire to run to dash.

thanks for all input in advance
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Re: oil pressure gauge, help/advice

Post by garyd »

When you say that the JX has two senders I assume that these are the ones in the oil pump/filter mounting and the other in the back end of the cylinder head.

The second of these is the 'very low' pressure sender (0.3bar?) and I believe operates the buzzer of doom.

The first is the one for the standard oil light and sits in a area of higher oil pressure. This is the one you want. Check first though as some of the VW engines use a filter housing that has a second drilling here (fitted with a blanking screw) and you can fit a gauge sender without disturbing the light sender.

cheers

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

royt28

Post by royt28 »

garyd wrote:When you say that the JX has two senders I assume that these are the ones in the oil pump/filter mounting and the other in the back end of the cylinder head.

The second of these is the 'very low' pressure sender (0.3bar?) and I believe operates the buzzer of doom.

The first is the one for the standard oil light and sits in a area of higher oil pressure. This is the one you want. Check first though as some of the VW engines use a filter housing that has a second drilling here (fitted with a blanking screw) and you can fit a gauge sender without disturbing the light sender.

cheers

Garyd

Nice one, only need advice for the wire now , (best option/route etc)

garyd

Post by garyd »

It is quite possible that the standard loom carries cables which are unused in your vehicle but I don't have any information on that.

I chose to run new wires front to back to serve several functions - oil temp, oil pressure, ECU speed signal, immobiliser, obd port, etc (during GTi conversion). I taped the various wires together, wrapped them in non-adhesive loom tape and then threaded it along the chassis alongside other cables and pipes, making sure it was well supported and protected.

Good luck

Garyd

royt28

Post by royt28 »

garyd wrote:It is quite possible that the standard loom carries cables which are unused in your vehicle but I don't have any information on that.

I chose to run new wires front to back to serve several functions - oil temp, oil pressure, ECU speed signal, immobiliser, obd port, etc (during GTi conversion). I taped the various wires together, wrapped them in non-adhesive loom tape and then threaded it along the chassis alongside other cables and pipes, making sure it was well supported and protected.

Good luck

Garyd

Looks like i will be doing the same as you :D
will a dual sender fit ok in the jx engine bay? or will have to buy a t/juntion or sandwich thingeys

garyd

Post by garyd »

If you have a look at this Samba thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... c&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the post on Mar 13 2012, you will see sopme pics of my van and engine.

In the engine pics you can just make out the gauge sender with a red sticker around it. If this is anything like your vdo sender, it should fit OK. Bear in mind that my engine is an AGG petrol rather than the JX diesel but they are all part of the same family of engines.

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

mike_gee32
80-90 Mem No: 455

Post by mike_gee32 »

I ran some 5 core alarm cable up the van to use for sensors and tach signal, it wont cope with much current but is fine for this. I got a massive roll from wickes a couple of years ago for about £7. I ran it from the black box on the engine bulkhead following the original loom (it is thin enough to slip under the original clips along with the existing loom) I used some net curtain wire to feed it over the fuel tank and through the rubber grommit where the heater pipes enter the cab.
If you start in the cab and work backwards it's quite easy to route it neatly.
Member no. 455

royt28

Post by royt28 »

mike_gee32 wrote:I ran some 5 core alarm cable up the van to use for sensors and tach signal, it wont cope with much current but is fine for this. I got a massive roll from wickes a couple of years ago for about £7. I ran it from the black box on the engine bulkhead following the original loom (it is thin enough to slip under the original clips along with the existing loom) I used some net curtain wire to feed it over the fuel tank and through the rubber grommit where the heater pipes enter the cab.
If you start in the cab and work backwards it's quite easy to route it neatly.

i was just about to ask how you got it over the fuel tank into a groumet ( you must be a lotto winner ;-) until i read the end of post :oops:
i will see how much current it is pulling on a test in the engine bay, for wire gauge etc