AGR engine help needed

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nicko868
80-90 Mem No: 8398

AGR engine help needed

Post by nicko868 »

hi
i have scoured the wiki and the forum but canny find what i am looking for so here goes .... :) i have recently bought a kit to fit a an audi a3 AGR 1.9 tdi engine into my van but have come to a hickup when trying to fit it. i have come to attatching the engine mounts on the turbo side (i have an engine mount modified to accomidated the turbo) but the turbo is just in the way and there seems to be no way round the problem. am i missing somthing here ? do i need a different manifold and turbo , like the AAZ conversion uses the jx stuff ? any help would be great
cheers daniel :D

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Re: AGR engine help needed

Post by busbuddy »

what exactly do you mean by 'bought a kit' ?

was it specific for the agr or more importantly was it specific for the audi, never worked with the agr unit before but I know a lot of audi 1.9tdi's have engine mount points unique to the audi and the usual 1Z/ahu stuff dont fit them all
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

the AGR is basically an ALH with a wastegated turbo - people have fitted ALH engines to these vans but I don't know of a "kit" that would work for this - I know HA projekt do mounts for AHU/1Z or AFN - but these might not work for the AGR - it's a different engine - especially on the timing belt side of things. I put a bigger VNT turbo on mine and got a mount fabricated - I would do the same if I were you. You could jack up the engine into the position it should be then make something up to fit, and take it to a fabricators to get welded up properly.

Good luck fitting it in

Ewen

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

right okay bassically by a kit i mean i went to see this bloke who had loads of 25's stood out sideand we got onto the subject of engine conversions and bassically he said he has got one in his work shop which he took out the a3... he said he has all the desil bits for theconversion and that the mounts were sorted and he had done all the work all what was left to do was to pickle the wiring loom about. since the fellow has died which has left us on a sticky wicket because he was supposed to be helping us fit it and he supposiedly knew what he was doing now my dad is a mechanic by trade (he is doing the conversion for me) and on closer inspection nothing lines up, yest one of the mounts would have to be hacked up and refabricated but the engine mount on the turbo side which was supposed to have been modifed the turbo is just still in the way. i have since learned that a whole load more jx parts are needed and this engine wont work with the van either so i do not really know what to do now!! it looks like i may cash the lump and go gti unless anyone could help haha i seriously need it!!
cheers
dan :)

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Sorry to hear about the bloke passing away and you being left with all this to sort out.

If you go gti you still need diesel bits like sump and mounts, and it will sit at 50 degrees too. Have you fitted diesel mounting bars to your van? Just a thought - the petrol ones were different. You may find that the bars themselves need to be modified a bit too.

Ewen

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

hi
yeah i know it is really a bugger, mighty inconsiderate of him i think !
but yeah i knoww that the gti also lays over as i have seen a few done but they seem to take the engine mounts unmodified and yeah i know they need some desil bits i have most of the bits (mounts, bars, bellhousing sump ect ) but i am shorton quite alot to do the tdi conversion so this might look the cheepest and best option for me to be honest i would like to stay petrol but dad seems desil is the way. um he has had a quick look at the engine bars and they look okay for it, they line up with the holes at the back of the van and i think they do at the fron but not 100% sure. what modifications do you think will be needed ?
cheers
dan

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

it's impossible to say without being there - some need the bars shaving a bit to accomodate the inlet for the turbo for example.

Hope you get it sorted

Ewen

nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

right yeah for the gti they may need shaving ? well if it comes to it and i get stuck i will post up somepictures of what i am working with :)
cheers
dan