(i cant get no) retraction

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

(i cant get no) retraction

Post by edoh »

one of my rear seat belts seems to have lost its 'retraction'. Won't spool back on its own....
still seems secure enough once its clipped in...
is there an easy fix for this?
would it be an mot fail (coming up in december) -
all comments welcome :)
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Re: (i cant get no) retraction

Post by Cruz »

I tried to re-strain the spring by unwinding it fully then removing the belt pin from the spool and winding it up as much as I could by hand before putting the seatbelt back in.........I then bought some new ones from JK :lol:

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

It will the MOT if it falls into this criteria

"a retracting mechanism does not retract the webbing sufficiently to remove all the slack from the belt with the locking mechanism fastened and the seat unoccupied"

You might be lucky and find that the reel mechanism just needs a good clean out and grease, because its got trapped full of gunk over the years. If you can't get to it easily you'll have to remove it and as Cruz says might be aswell to replace it at this point, particularly if its anyone you care about that sits on that seat!

Regrads,

Mike.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

edoh
80-90 Mem No: 3974

Post by edoh »

thank you for your informative replies gents -
will give it a good old clean up - n order another if i need to for the mot - (49 squid from just bankers) -
thanks again peeps :ok
Owner of a red T25 fixed hi top campervan - colour - spikey red - petrol - water cooled - 1.9 dg engine rhd - 1990 g reg n still going strong!-