JX to 1Y teething prolems - clutch whistle? buzzer etc!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

Re: JX to 1Y teething prolems - clutch whistle? buzzer etc!

Post by psychonaut »

weldore wrote:mmmmm...flange :mrgreen:
*mega giga uber schoolboy sbigger* :mrgreen:
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

Post by psychonaut »

jetpacjimmy wrote:All this talk of flange and wrong wiring has cheered me up no end, thank you! The whine/whistle/squeek only happens when I engage the clutch whilst decelerating. I'm also not sure if I trust that the spigot bearing is in place, is there any way to check without removing the engine?

Could I clarify, what sender do I need if the 1Y pump is fitted, an original JX sender or something else? I'm quite happy to spend £50 on a kit from Brickwerks if it cures my ills. Pschonaut should I get that before Saturday or is that beyond what's possible in that time?

Thanks for the advice on the sump removal camper, to be brutally honest I could probably drain the oil and get the sump off but I'd be lost as I don't have a torque wrench or a tame mechanic to borrow from. Then theres problem of being left without a vehicle if I mess it up, which I would!

Below are a couple of before and after videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoJHvzl ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLbU8Z0f2S0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning dude - just a quick reply before I dissapear for a couple of days.

To be honest, our yard in Bristol is probably not the best place to drop your oil, remove the sump, replace the oil pump, and then put everything back together again, so we'll pass on that on Saturday, but there's no reason why we can't do it asap after Saturday to fit in with my shifts and your free time. Give me a call sometime (leave me a voicemail if I don't answer) and we'll have chat about it. You'll need a new sump gasket as well as the oil pump. I did have a spare oil pump in my garage - if it' still there (and I wont get chance to check until Friday) you can have it buddy. It's used but well within tolerance. The job is straightforward, and I guarantee after we've done it you'll wonder why you were worried about doing it, but if you've never done it before it can be a worry I guess.

If there is no spigot bearing in your van, you'll know about it soon enough - you'll start leaking gearbox oil from the back of the box and you'll start to get some slipping of the clutch. The only way to check for sure is to drop the box - at least you don't need to drop the engine though - but that oil leak is a sure-fire sign you're missing that bearing. How many miles have you done in the van since the work was completed?
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

Just to clarify....if you sort out the wiring to the senders that you already have it might fix your oil pressure and glow plug issue
its not wired up correctly from your photos
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

jetpacjimmy
80-90 Mem No: 9342

Post by jetpacjimmy »

Cheers both, looking forward to seeing if we can sort it out. Pschonaut I completely understand, I just thought on the off chance, I'd happily bring it across the bridge to you, would have to be a weekend though. I'll give you a buzz tomorrow when I've introduced the idea to my good lady.

I've done probably about 500 miles in it since the change, no slippage and the box works fine. I'll get under it and have a look for a leak, I haven't noticed one.

J

jetpacjimmy

Post by jetpacjimmy »

New problem! coolant leak, out of the back of the block where the pipe meets the block, is there a gasket that might have perished?

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello again,

can you be a bit more specific about which pipe? Strictly speaking the coolant goes through the head and then on the water pump at the thermostat - just a bit unsure what you mean by "block". I guess you mean the heater pipe that runs from the back of the head to the front of the van - any chance you can take a picture of the bit you mean?

Ewen

jetpacjimmy

Post by jetpacjimmy »

Sorry, excuse my ignorance. I mean the back of the engine.

This is taken from below, does this help? Hadn't noticed there is a nut type thing on it, could the coolant be coming from there?