1Y timing with adjustable pulley. New Video!!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: 1Y fitted but sounds 'loose' and clatters?? Video added!!

Post by ringo »

gaz f wrote: I don't think I can adjust my pump that way as it has 3 bolts on the pulley that need to be slackened first before the pump can be moved, or that is how I understand it? I don't have a dial indicator. :cry:

There are bolts that attach the pump to the metal plate behind the pulley - dont loosen the pulley! The bolts can be found behind the pulley - accessible through the holes in the pulley wheel - go take a look its hard to explain!

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

when it first starts up it sounds like there is metal interferance...but it quietens down as you go to the rear of the van...like an underlying tapping noise

anyone else think this?
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

weldore

Post by weldore »

could be worse :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9NGl7xM ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

weldore wrote:could be worse :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9NGl7xM ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Err ... :shock: Thankfully mine isn't that bad!

weldore

Post by weldore »

is the snorkel all set up on the intake?..no leaks

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

I dont think it sounds that bad actually but it seems very sluggish in picking up the revs. When I press the accelerator my revs pick up a lot quicker, very responsive. I would definitely look at the timing. Buy, beg, borrow or steal a DTI and get it right mate. :ok
Pete Abbott

Niander
80-90 Mem No: 10343

Post by Niander »

when it first starts up it sounds like there is metal interferance...but it quietens down as you go to the rear of the van...like an underlying tapping noise

yep i can hear that also

generally it sounds much like mine..so long as it runs ok i wouldn't worry
1984 T25 1.9D 1Y

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Sounds pretty good to me, as diesels go. And they normally get quieter once warm, as the others say too.

I'd certainly get the timing checked though [ I had a TDI Discovery with the timing out following a main dealer service and that sounded like an old tractor] and put the correct oil & a new filter in and see how it goes from there. :ok

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Ok guys,

I checked the timing yesterday and the pump and camshaft were spot on, shame the crank was a tooth out. :oops: Bugger. All set properly now, changed the oil and filter and that 'loose' sound has now disappeared.

Question, or maybe someone could check theirs.
I noticed that mine is actually blowing air OUT of the airbox when it's idling. If you put your hand below the snorkel box at the base there is a small hole. Should it be doing that??

Now just to fix the leaking dipstick and annoyingly noticed this morning that the oil cooler/filter mounting (the original 1Y one that wasn't touched) also has a bit of a weep from it.

:ok

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

the small hole I think is there to allow water to drip out instead of getting into the filter - also at idle it is likely you will be feeling the blow-by from the crankcase via the PCV valve on top of the rocker cover. See what it's like if you disconnect this - it's quite common for the PCV gasses to lower at higher revs when not under load - the rings seat a bit better, and it's nothing to worry about if you feel the blow-by at idle.

I'm not sure but 1 flywheel tooth is unlikely to be enough to cause interference I would say, so I wouldn't worry about that - perhaps other people have different ideas though.

Ewen

weldore

Post by weldore »

I agree ewen....could have just pronounce the tone

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Your both correct I think, the diesel 'clack clack' hasn't really changed at all. It's the underlying loose sound that has disappeared, Standing listening to it before I checked and altered the timing you got the impression of what can only be described as a loose bottom end. That sounds more serious than I intend it to but is the only way I can discribe it, you couldnt really hear it on the video as the 'normal' sounds are louder. It's that noise that has vanished.

I think I am listen to my engine too much! :roll:

weldore

Post by weldore »

Now I dont know if I read it on here or even dreamt it but I recall something about certain oil pumps interfering with the crank as it turned and some linishing of the pump was needed...but im not committing my self to anything

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

:shock: Something else to worry about! :shock:

I used the pump off my 1.6D and I'd bet it's original VW since the bus came from the army. I doubt the army mechanics would be sticking in aftermarket parts. Hopefully.

Well, I just came back from picking up my daughter with the van and I still think it's a bit off. It's picking up the revs a lot quicker than before and feels more responsive also vibrations have calmed down, quieter when revving but at idle she still sounds a lot more clattery than the old 1.6 did.

I think tomorrow I'll have a go at Ringo's suggestion and move the pump about a bit and see if it makes any difference to it. I've already marked it so if it makes no difference I can put it back exactly where it is just now.

:ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

when i fitted mine it wasnt a fantastic deal better than the 1.6 but the power lasted longer..if you know what i mean...so on hills you had more power to reach the top.

how do you find it?

another vid of it running now you altered the belt would be nice :ok