water pump mystery

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kev mc

water pump mystery

Post by kev mc »

just swapped out the 1.6 d motor for a 1.9d.
some brainiac removed the engine type sticker from the motor :roll: now the 1.6 water pump housing does not fit. the lower bolts are angled in this way
\ on the housing, and this way / on the case. none of the usual suspects can find anything that is right without the code. anyone come across this before or is there something blindingly obvious that i am overlooking :roll:
cheers in advance.
kev

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: water pump mystery

Post by kevtherev »

hello and welcome to the forum. :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

I put my 1.6 water pump into my 1.9 when I changed it as it was only a few months old, I think they are the same, mine was.
1y Tin top rust collector.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

It depends on which 1.9 engine you have. Look for the engine number stamped on a machined face on the top of the block behind the bypass hose, below injectors 3 and 4. Or put up a photo. We might be able to tell which engine it is. If it's an AEF, for example, it does indeed use a different water pump.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

kev mc

Post by kev mc »

kevtherev wrote:hello and welcome to the forum. :ok
hi, thank you :D i joined a while back when doing my homework on the T25. just bought this
came with a set of Audi alloys and a 19d engine.
kit wrote:I put my 1.6 water pump into my 1.9 when I changed it as it was only a few months old, I think they are the same, mine was.
no mine definitely does not fit, the lower bracket holes are at a completely different angle :(

kev mc

Post by kev mc »

colinthefox wrote:It depends on which 1.9 engine you have. Look for the engine number stamped on a machined face on the top of the block behind the bypass hose, below injectors 3 and 4. Or put up a photo. We might be able to tell which engine it is. If it's an AEF, for example, it does indeed use a different water pump.
i think it may be an AEF as that is the only one i can see that is different, the ones i'm looking at have a compact bracket that looks like they incorporate the alternator bracket etc but no definitive answer. had a good look all over the motor but could not see a code, i will look tomorrow and take a pic to post up. cheers.

andyboy069
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andyboy069 »

That picture looks familiar its looks like my mate tels workshop, is this in thanet?

kev mc

Post by kev mc »

andyboy069 wrote:That picture looks familiar its looks like my mate tels workshop, is this in thanet?
thats it, i have the other side of the barn to Tel.