AAZ cylinder head torque settings

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sagemagoo
80-90 Mem No: 8215

AAZ cylinder head torque settings

Post by Sagemagoo »

Hellooo,

Got the head skimmed after a cambelt disaster about 6 months ago and I've now noticed a coolant leak from the head gasket after the flashing red light came warning of low coolant levels. I've tried Baxter's bleeding method but when the engine warms up it won't let me open the header cap without squirting up even though there's quite an air gap in the header tank, hoping it's not a bad sign being pressurised too much from a dodgy head gasket. Anyway - I'm looking at tightening the cylinder head nuts - I'm not convinced they were done right in the first place...anyone know what the torque settings are or have any views on the next step should that fail?

Supposed to be going on holiday to Wales tomorrow.....

Thanks

GK
1985 1.6TD Gipsy
1966 MGB
2005 1.9TD Convertible Beetle

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: AAZ cylinder head torque settings

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello, normally retorquing of cylinder head bolts is an extra 90 degrees - they are stretch bolts. Depending on the gasket you don't have to retorque. The normal sequence is middle out - first pass 40nm, second pass 60nm, third pass 90 degrees, 4th pass 90 degrees.

Hope a retorque sorts it out, but I'm not sure it will tbh - I did this recently and had exactly the same thing, and I think I must have damaged the gasket very slightly. It was fine for a bit then blew again.

Ewen

Sagemagoo
80-90 Mem No: 8215

Post by Sagemagoo »

Thanks Ewan, heads off and there's a crack in each cylinder between the valves - garage reckon this is causing the coolant compression but I guess I won't know without a compression test. Bit reluctant to throw good money after bad and am looking to source a replacement aaz head.
Gordon
1985 1.6TD Gipsy
1966 MGB
2005 1.9TD Convertible Beetle

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Cracks between valves on these heads are common it dosnt mean they extend into coolent chambers.Ask the garage to get the head pressure tested to be certain before replacing.The 1y cylinder head on my van has cracks between valves but a head skim and good qaulity gasket solved similer problem as discribed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Pa ... 1c0b557ea0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .I had the work done by this seller on ebay and was impressed by the service very quick&no problems .Telephone them about your concerns about the cracks.