Breathable Camper Cover

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dazzledan
80-90 Mem No: 9036

Breathable Camper Cover

Post by Dazzledan »

Just wanted to know what anyone thinks of getting a breathable cover for your van. They sell them at Just Kampers. I want to keep the van good over the winter months and instead of leaving it on the drive open to all the elements I thought it would be a good idea to cover the van. I know its not always the best idea to cover a van and leave the dampness trapped but if the covers are breathable then surely it should keep the van good and slow down any corrosion that will happen over time.

Has anyone got one? What do you think? :ok

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: Breathable Camper Cover

Post by jamesc76 »

if your paint isnt 100% top notch, dont use a cover they can attack paint and trap damp in even if breathable, better to give it a damn good waxing!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Wax is best
use a hard wax like Autoglym Hi Def. then a soft wax on top.
this will last for a year as long as you use a shampoo to wash it and not detergent.
covers scratch the paint, stop natural drying after damp weather, make the van smell musty I have found.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dazzledan

Post by Dazzledan »

Thanks for that I was in two minds as to whether it was a good idea or not. Think I will go for the wax idea.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

It's got to be a good one dan.
Auto Glym Hi Def is the one I'd recommend.
here are the others that stay the course for a year and offer great winter protection

Autoglym Hi Def
Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance
Nattys White & Blue
RaceGlaze 55
Swissvax Divine, Mystery, BoS and Concourso
Victoria Concours

cheap stuff washes off with the rain
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dazzledan

Post by Dazzledan »

Cheers Kev,

This forum is proving invaluable. Thanks for the advice! :ok

dirtygertie
80-90 Mem No: 4501

Post by dirtygertie »

I'm resurrecting an old thread here because I'm thinking of giving up my lock up garage due to it being infested with mice who used my van as a urinal this winter (and it costing £30 a month, every month regardless of whether its being used) and getting the JK breatheable cover as an alternative over winter - I appreciate that the van will need a thorough waxing beforehand to protect from the cover rubbing; I mainly want it because some of my window surrounds are a little corroded and let in water. I don't tax the van over winter (can't afford to) so it will be on the drive.

does anyone have one of these and if so how do you rate it in terms of a) function and b) quality?

thanks

:ok
Karen x

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. -hmmmmm

1982 2l Aircooled with a name!

Taw Cottage
80-90 Mem No: 9513

Post by Taw Cottage »

Hi Karen

I have one of the JK covers, used it during the winter of 2010/11............2ft of snow for a few weeks and temperatures down to -15c. Absolutely no problems.......................The winter just gone was tropical by comparison and though I left driver/passenger windows and roof vent open a fraction, it suffered a little from condensation causing a bit of mould on the poptop roof lining...........all sorted now.

The only other problem I had was that because my Westy has big bumpers, it was a bit of a stretch and caused one of the vertical door zips to fail..........was replaced by JK, no problem..........I now do up all the zips before finally pulling it down over the bumpers and remove it in the same way.

Steve :ok

ps. Have one deluxe breathable cover........one zip knackered.........going cheap :wink: :wink:
Life is not a rehearsal

Westy 2.1 WBX Denk an die Umwelt Fahr mit dem Bus