Best AAZ intercooler

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

youde4
80-90 Mem No: 7225

Best AAZ intercooler

Post by youde4 »

Hey hey,

Another question on behalf of my uncle,

He's asked me whats the best intercooler option when fitting an AAZ 1.9td into his syncro? I think he wants maximum power and reliability without silly costs

Thanks as always

Ben

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: Best AAZ intercooler

Post by Hacksawbob »

how much is silly?

have you seen this?
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ord=cooler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
member 1168

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Saw a Smart car intercooler with built-in fan go for a tenner on Ebay recently, that's gotta be a good buy.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

syncroandy wrote:Saw a Smart car intercooler with built-in fan go for a tenner on Ebay recently, that's gotta be a good buy.
It's too small to do any good.
In intake and outlet pipe diameters are considerably small than the VW ones.
The Smart has a 660cc motor, I can't see an intercooler from a small motor doing anything for a 1,9 motor.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

Cheap reliable power is found next to hens teeth. To keep an aaz cool you need an oil cooler and a charge cooler " air to water " will be better then an intercooler " air to air "
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

The second-hand Pace 2-stage chargecooler in my pickup was ~£200. Compared with a tenner thats quite dear, and the smart may still be good value, I'm temped to get one if I can to have a look at. Not so convinced its that unsuitable but I rather not speculate...
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

syncroandy wrote:The second-hand Pace 2-stage chargecooler in my pickup was ~£200. Compared with a tenner thats quite dear, and the smart may still be good value, I'm temped to get one if I can to have a look at. Not so convinced its that unsuitable but I rather not speculate...

By pure chance I happened on a Smart Intercooler for a euro + 5 euro postage so I snapped it up.
I am not convinced that it's big enough but I am willing to have a tinker.

The inlet and outlet diameters are quite small but apparently it helps reduce turbo lag.

Just got to work out where to mount it, it's probably going to have to go down by the side of the g/box to get some airflow.
I was hoping that it had a metal top so that a jacket could be tigged around it to convert it to a water/air cooler.

Will post some pics when I get home.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I've just bought a Subaru charge cooler, the one in this thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/charg ... aru#288549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meant to be good for 500bhp, so should just manage a aaz :lol: I'll hopefully get it fitted this year
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you