Rapid overheating

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mark1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rapid overheating

Post by mark1967 »

Van is a 1985 1.9 DG.Its been off the road for over a year as we slowly do it up.I changed the plugs etc and got it running ok although it only ever run 10-20 mins at a time.The last few times I started it it seemed to warm up really quickly.I had to move the van the other day and within 2 mins there was coolant over flowing and it smelled very hot.Within seconds there was a horrible "engine about to die" type squealing :shock: and I switched it off.
As we have a lot on with house etc decided to forget it for a while till other stuff like painting/interior are finished and then drop engine when I have more time to fix a few other niggly issues I cant get to while engine is in.Any suggestions for future investigation as to cause? water pump? (tho not leaking),the dreaded head gasket ? or just plain knackered engine? One thing I did notice,when alternator belt was pushed one way or other a small hissing noise could be heard,which led me to think water pump.With the belt off pulling up/down on the pulley a small amount of movement can be felt.It still turns freely.The belt hasnt been tight as the alternator mounting bolts were just holding by the skin of their teeth and you couldnt tension it too much(needs engine dropping to drill/retap)
Sorry about the rambling. Bloody van moan,grumble,whinge etc.

insitu_mouldings
80-90 Mem No: 4907

Re: Rapid overheating

Post by insitu_mouldings »

Hi mate sorry to hear about your problems,

My advice, do not run it hot for long or if it is the gasket then you run the risk of ccoking the head too.

Check the underneath of the oil cap for creamy fluid which denotes oil mixing with water which occurs when the gasket has blown.

Also check the coolant tank for the same a sthis will indicate a crossover of fluids.

Replace thermostat straight away to check whether or not there was a blockage which cause the van to overheat. when you replact the stat drop the coolant and renew.

Check for any discoulored smoke and if you need anymore help just ask, btw my opinion is on my experience of vehicles in general and not particular to these vans.

VERAT25
80-90 Mem No: 6882

Post by VERAT25 »

i had rapid overheat and eventually found to be thermostat?? pig of a job after all bolts holding top cover snapped

verat25(cardiff)

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

How rapid heat up? was the temp gaubge showing anything? 2 mins from stone cold isnt possible to boil the engine.. there is too much water and metal to heat up that quick.. unless ther is lots of air in there..

thermostat would be my first call.. they can stick shut or open with age and crud in the system.. waterpump shouldnt have play.. but a tiny amount withut leaks will be ok in the very short term... (it will get worse/leak)

mark1967

Post by mark1967 »

Thanks for the replies chaps,I looked at the coolant didnt seem to have any oil in it,didnt notice if the temp gauge registered anything as I spat the dummy at that point :oops:
2 mins from stone cold isnt possible to boil the engine
2 minutes was about all it took the coolant was definately above lukewarm as my delicate little pinkies found out :lol: Some of the bodges the previous owner had done appeared impossible but he managed somehow :roll:
I`ll swap the thermostat/pump/coolant first chance I get and see what happens
Thanks again

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

By the way, Oil in water and water in oil is EXTREMELY rare and almost impossible on a 1.9 DG and WONT be from the head seals (gaskets).. :wink:

If its spewing up that quick and there seems to be some warm coolant, then its most likely a head seal/cracked head/broken stud I am afraid.. its the only way you can get enough pressure into the system that quickly to spew coolant out.. UNLESS the prev bodging owner/mechanic has done something rather stupid... (which of course can happen)

mark1967

Post by mark1967 »

Finally got round to having a look at this again.Got a new daleks hat,thermostat and water pump from Brickwerx (Had to drive up and swap it monday cos like a penis I`d ordered the wrong one bloody VW ETKA part numbers moan grumble grumble)
Had a good look round before I started and discovered the engine is actually a DF not a DG as I was lead to believe before and the cooling system is the early type with a bleed type thingy in the engine bay,which doesnt seem to do anything no matter which way you turn it. :roll:
Everything new fitted,plus a few issues with dodgy hoses rusty pipe clips etc sorted and I was ready for filling system back up.Decided to "test" it by filling with just water first as I didnt fancy swilling the yard with expensive G12 if it was still no different.
From empty I managed to get 4 litres in and then no more. :shock: :( Opened rad bleed screw and got a bit more in (about 6 litres in total) Couldnt get owt else in so fired it up and ran the engine for about a minute or so,level went down,slightly, and managed to get about another half a litre in then it decided to start spitting it back out,pouring out of the header tank again :? The water wasnt hot this time barely warm in fact. I googled and found the "Baxter method for bleeding" but its sorta difficult to follow it if the van keeps chucking it back out.Any suggestions?

Llamapup
80-90 Mem No: 8366

Post by Llamapup »

I'm not familiar with your specific engine but it does sound like you are getting too much pressure in your water. As the posts above suggest this is most likely being preassuried by the action of the cylinders as a result of a perished head gasket or a crack in the block. The speed at which you describe this action taking place is particulary charactersitic of a very bad seal between the block and head. Are you getting any air bubbles rising through the header tank when its running. This would further support this theory as a bad seal would draw in air.
1988 LHD Volkswagen Westfalia Camper

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

I could almost think that its piped wrongly :?:
never know whats been done till youve sorted it yourself.
youll get there,good luck
mike

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

It sounds like it needs re-bleeding, this isn't uncommon after loads of stuff's been off at once. Is the van level ? When working on the engine bay I always leave it with it's ar$e in the air to limit coolant loss and aid bleeding .... but our's is a late system and I believe yours will be early.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

mark1967

Post by mark1967 »

Thanks for the replies and offers of help via PM :ok
Its now sorted :D :D I set off to bleed it again and the same thing happened yet again,but this time it also coughed up a big dollop of rusty sludge that must have been lurking in one of the pipes along with a long stringy bit of orange silicon sealant the previous owner was so fond of :roll: Another hose pipe enema later (for the van,not me :mrgreen: ) and it bled like a good `un.Left it running on the yard (no MOT yet) for a good 20 mins.Temp gauge rose and settled at the halfway mark.Didnt get hot enough for the fan to cut in so don`t know if thats working yet,but I can now drain it off and fill up with 50/50 G12 knowing its not going to tip it all straight back out on the floor.Thanks again gents
Mark

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Good one, might be an idea to hook a hosepipe up and flush it through some more before the dear stuff goes in.
'orange instant gasket' the devils glue
mike

mark1967

Post by mark1967 »

metalmick8y wrote:Good one, might be an idea to hook a hosepipe up and flush it through some more before the dear stuff goes in.
Yes,I think I will just in case theres anymore anywhere lurking ready to block some orifice or other :shock:
metalmick8y wrote:'orange instant gasket' the devils glue
mike
The stuff was everywhere.I got the impresion he had had things apart but developed a dislike for buying new gaskets :roll:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

At least if you find an area with no oange then he probably hasnt been there or else not found a way of getting in to meddle..
M