240 volt fridge in camper

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nikalele
80-90 Mem No: 9209

240 volt fridge in camper

Post by nikalele »

hi all,

Just a thought, has anyone tried putting a normal 240v household fridge in t25 using a converter from 12v leisure battery to 240v. i need to get a fridge in this thing and have been offered a perfectly good mini fridge for free but its 240v. Is this a comman thing to do or is it inadvisable. im on a bit of a budget and cant be spending loads on a proper electrolux jobby. Although i am open to suggestions :) soo.. Im based near bristol if anyone has or knows of a proper job camper fridge going cheap 8)

Anyways, 12v to 240v step up converter for a fridge? good or bad idea?

whatcha rekon?

Cheers

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: 240 volt fridge in camper

Post by kevtherev »

:rofl

sorry :oops:

your domestic compressor fridge would gobble up so much power (380 watts froma 16 cu), it would need a lot of batteries to keep it going as it would typically require 31 Amps constant supply from a 12V inverter

camper fridges run silent, use gas or 240 or 12V.
there are plenty about and try looking in the caravan breakers yards for bargains as they rarely break (no moving parts)
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

EarthWormJim
80-90 Mem No: 2885

Post by EarthWormJim »

i could be wrong but a house hold fridge has gas in them and think they need to stood for 24 hours after transportation to let the gas settle plus would it not be a bit heavy in a van? as i say i could be wrong

plus what kev said about power useage
1.9DF 4 Speed LPG 1984 tintop
Walking around in the back ground tripping over the bloody cat

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Where would you put it, anyway?
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

hah i thought that might be the answer :D

welll i thought id better ask before i did something silly,

Its only a tiny one probably the same size as a little original one. anyways, il give that a miss, i can barely afford one spare battery let only about 5 hah

cheers chaps

nikalele

Re: 240 volt fridge in camper/ testing 3 way fridge

Post by nikalele »

Okedoke, so i think iv sourced one from a mate. hah that was easier than i thought, but he doesnt think its working he said he had a go at testing it, but literally quick 5mins, nothing seem to make a noise or really do anything he says. im going to pick it up tomoro, just wondering whats the best way of testing these things. its an electrolux something or other 3 way fridge, he says the back of it is pretty rusty. Im guessing just plug it in and see if it gets cold, but im sure iv read something about water trays or something? any advice from experienced people?? :)

horns

Post by horns »

Plug it in, see if it gets cold. Be patient, though - it can take a while.

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

i see, so if i can get working through the mains in the house. what are the chances of it working through 12v, must be similarly connected.

also ventilation... im guessing its going to have to be ventilated somehow, just a hole cut in the side and a pipe connected to it...

sorry for the very general and hypothetic questions, as i havnt even had a look at the thing so it may become obvious tomoro... must forgive me, im bored

cheers for the replys

horns

Post by horns »

nikalele wrote:i see, so if i can get working through the mains in the house. what are the chances of it working through 12v, must be similarly connected.

12v is a seperate element. You could hook it up to a battery and see what happens, but the battery won't last long if the element works! Or you could check the element with a multimeter - I forget how many ohms its meant to read, but the figure will be on here if you search for it.

nikalele wrote:also ventilation... im guessing its going to have to be ventilated somehow, just a hole cut in the side and a pipe connected to it...

AIr needs to circulate past the back of the fridge - in at the bottom and out at the top. This can be through vents to the outside or the interior of the van. If you want to run it on gas you also need a properly secure pipe from the flue to the outside world - make sure this is done right, you don't want to gas yourselves in your sleep.
Last edited by horns on 07 Jul 2010, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

horns

Post by horns »

whoops, posted twice...

nikalele

Post by nikalele »

cheers for the advice mr horns, will give me something else to do tomoro. im off, ta ra

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

These fridges are not designed to run off 12v batteries. The battery option on the 3 way is for driving along. You need to use electric hook up when stationary, or gas. And yes it can take a couple of hours before the 3 way begins to work effectively. Also the 3 way does not normally make a noise. This only happens occasionally in hot weather when the cooling fan kicks in. Good luck :ok Patrick

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

PRD wrote:Also the 3 way does not normally make a noise. This only happens occasionally in hot weather when the cooling fan kicks in.
Only Westies have a fan to assist the cooling as they don't have the cooling vents in the side of the van, just the gas exhaust flue.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Once you've got the fridge off your mate, tip it upside down first of all and give it a good shake for a couple of minutes. Then turn it the right way up again and just leave it to stand overnight to settle again. Next day, connect it to 240v or gas. If its got a little freezer box compartment check in there to see if it's getting cold after a couple of hours of not opening the fridge door at all. Our RM212 gets coldest the quickest when we run it on gas, rather than 240v. If you're running it on 240v make sure you turn the knob to max setting until the fridge is nice and cold.

Must be properly ventilated for running on gas though so that carbon monoxide leaves your van via chimney and flue (spelling?!).

Which Electrolux model is it?

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Llamapup
80-90 Mem No: 8366

Post by Llamapup »

EarthWormJim wrote:i could be wrong but a house hold fridge has gas in them and think they need to stood for 24 hours after transportation to let the gas settle plus would it not be a bit heavy in a van? as i say i could be wrong

I took my Dometic fridge out of my Westy to give it a good clean and to clean the gas orifice. It was damn heavy. It's no surprise that my 1.6td engine seems a bit under powered.
1988 LHD Volkswagen Westfalia Camper