Modified 2.0 CU (pics)

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

covdubber

Re: Modified 2.0 CU (pics)

Post by covdubber »

you top chap!

i've been supplied the completely wrong linkage & carb plates!!! not happy & doubt i'll get a swap or refund as i had to grind some metal off the carburetter plates that go on top of the carbs so you can take the emulsion tubes/jets out easily! i did'nt realise i had the wrong plates before grinding them as i bought my stuff as a so called kit! not from dellorto/eurocarb though mine was bought somewhere else! dont know if i can name n shame here?

did you have to cut the hex bar down??? shorten it?

really appreciace the info bud, i'll be ordering an empi one for mine tomorrow!!!

i have mine running fairly well now, its just the need of a linkage to become mobile again LOL

it'll need a rolling road tune though i reckon! the sound is great is'nt it!!!! what exhaust do you have?

had one prob caused by myself which was i blew the ignition amplifier due to putting the wires on the coil wrong! idiot!

other than that its gone ok really, cant wait to drive it, i had some dodgy very loud hydraulic lifters & when i had my motor out i've put a new set in, i set up the tappets yesterday & i was actually shocked how quet my engine is! really pleased! & i now know my timing is spot on

i was getting 26mpg on my solex carbs with dodgy hydraulic lifters & my timing set to TBC (not by me may i add) so i'm hoping to match or better that on the weber idf's,
is yours going ok?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

oh i forgot to ask what intake manifolds you have gs moke, mine are the short csp ones cheers chap

gsmoke
80-90 Mem No: 2975

Post by gsmoke »

Hi Cov,
My engine is running great thanks, pick up is excellent. I've been off the road for a few weeks sorting annoying electrical probs but got my mot yesterday so I'm now back on track. This weekend I'll be doing its first oil change after running in so I cant wait to give it some stick!

The manifolds were from either eurocarb or La Performance. Again branded by Empi. They are not short ones but contrary to internet myth, it all fits under the engine lid. As a precaution, I grinded the center support bar underneath the lid for extra clearance.
Make sure that the tinware doesn't interfere with the manifolds, especially at the top between the two inlets.

Do you have a webber tuning manual?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... weber+carb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found the dellorto book excellent.

I would be wary of rolling roads, you need one with experience with these carbs and type 4 engines, they need to stock jets, emulsion tubes etc.
One highly recommended rolling road firm did mine and made a right balls of it, Steve at gasure was initially much better using his experience.
I have since fine tuned and re-jetted using plug colours and a carb balancer.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Weber-New-Carbure ... _720wt_911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
They are easy to use.

The Reverend Pimp Daddy
80-90 Mem No: 3275

Post by The Reverend Pimp Daddy »

Steve at Gasure uses one of those...........Does a great job, and so does Steve :ok

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

i have one of those synchometers!
i have'nt hooked up a rev counter to check my idle revs more accuratley but i've set my timing to the haynes i think (not 100%) its at 5degrees atdc, either way its on the red dot!

all my tappets are set up one & a half turns in when the engine is warm & thats made them really quiet as i have hydraulic lifters,

i have the airflow on number 6 for both carbs on the synchometer! my estimate is my tickover is between 850-1000rpm but need to check to be accurate!

i must pick up the weber manual, i'll order it tonight actually!

my new linkage is on route woohoo! so hopefully all being well that it fits up nice i'm going to try to get the bus mobile so i can have a drive to see what the true plug colour is before the end of the week!

what rolling road did you use gsmoke, if you dont want to say on the post give me a PM it may save me a pointless spend! :OP

did you drive all the way to steve at gasure then to get your carbs setup, you must have got it pretty close as wales to steve in chester is'nt he?

i've also sorted a few oil leaks on mine today, normal pushrod seal leaks but i'm sure it wont leak now! i need to pick up some fuel pump gaskets as i have a oil leak there! too! but both cheap easy fix's

also i've changed all my exhaust NUTS to brass m8 x 1.25, my theory is brass is a soft metal & i think has a low melting point so if i have to take the exhaust off "hopefully" i wont have probloms with nuts seizing 7 brass is apparently a self lubricating metal when worked ie when tightening & lossening! it all helps i say!

also i know you have dellorto's but what jets do you have?

all good fun hey! cant wat too get mine on the open road once the carbs are setup! see the differance!

gsmoke
80-90 Mem No: 2975

Post by gsmoke »

Hi Cov,
How are you getting on with the webbers
Carb jetting 40mm dellortos on standard engine, note that these are just what I ended up with.
30 chokes (tried larger but preferred these, larger chokes seemed more 'top endy', more mid range with these)
60 starter jet
.2 emulsion tubes
126 main jet
I cant remember off hand the air corrector jets but if anyone wants to know pm me.

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

This is gow i'm getting on so far gsmoke! i have found one of my main air correcters is a 175 & the other three are 200's, obviously i need to get a 200 to even thigs up so i actually have a basline starting point! to know if my motor is running lean or rich & what to change if need be

i do recommend a "gunsons colourtune" for setting idle mixture! it seems a handy tool to get each cylinder idle mixture, spot-on!

i have diven the bus today though, i drove it with 150 main jets & they were too rich & the bus had no power at all!

so i swapped them to the only other main jets i have which are 125's & what a differance, my bus is'nt running perfect yet! but i will get it there!

what i did find is that it has no power going up hills???? its like it bogs down & looses its grunt!

it has a slight hesitation when you get to 30mph in 3rd gear with normal throttle openings, just smoothly/progressivly up the gears from a junction for instance

& also backfire from the exhaust when coming down the gears to a junction

just tootling on part throttle its ok

if you want to make haste & get ya toe down its a bit on the laggy side & not as responsive as i'd expect!

whats ya thoughts

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

if its popping and laggy its not jetted right

the pop also could be an air leak.
98 Westfalia James Cook